Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Virtual Memory Too Low"

• Please log in to reply

pors

pors

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I keep getting the message that virtual memory is too low and it will be adjusted automatically. I'm not even sure what exactly this means or how it impacts the running of the computer. At the same time, whether or not it is related I don't know, my computer has really slowed down. I have visited the malware section and downloaded the recommended items. I also visited the Windows XP Tweaks and did the recommended changes there. My computer is still running much slower than normal.

I hope someone has some ideas to help me cause this is just driving me nuts! :tazz:

Advertisements

Scooped

Scooped

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
Well I believe the virtual memory is the swap file on windows xp.

To edit your virtual swap file manually:

Right click My Computer, Go to the Advanceded Tab, click on Performance Settings, Go to the Advanced tab, and go down to Virtual Memory. I believe the recommended size of the swap file is double the amount of your memory installed.

How many processes are you running, and how much memory do you have installed?

Scooped

Scooped

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
Woops, my bad...

Edited by Scooped, 17 August 2005 - 04:22 PM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
When you start your system, right click on the system tray and open Task Manager and set it to running processes. You can minimize it, but check on your page file and memory usage periodically. If the page file keeps increasing you may have a memory leak, i.e. something is adding to your page file and not being removed as it should be. Finding the cause of a memory leak or excessive page file usage requires a bit of detective work.

It might be worth checking your event logs too.

pors

pors

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I checked and I have 36 processes running and 256MB of memory installed. What is an event log and where do I find it? Sorry for the basic questions, hope you don't mind a little handholding. Thanks.

Edited by pors, 17 August 2005 - 08:04 PM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
It's not the memory installed but the page file, which would be about 600mb on a machine of that type. Also keep an eye on your memory commitment, when it exceeds the 256mb the overflow will go into page file.

Go into Control Panel, Administration to find your event logs.