Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account

Shutting down

• Please log in to reply

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Hey,

Mom is running windows 98 on her computer, and when she shuts down..... its says that is it safe to shut down.

Is there a way to completely get her computer to power off at shut down?

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Depends on BIOS - more info please

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
What more info do you need?

Im not sure with her bios cause its not the same as mine. So i wont know my way around it

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Has it always done this? On some older machines with type AT (as opposed to ATX) power supplies this is just the way they handled shut down. With ms-dos you just pushed the power button.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

Has it always done this? On some older machines with type AT (as opposed to ATX) power supplies this is just the way they handled shut down. With ms-dos you just pushed the power button.

View Post

Im not sure on the power supply. And as far as I know she has always had to press the power button to turn the computer button on and off.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
How goes it Tony_1983?

Sounds to me...as Tyger pointed out... like you have an old AT mobo. When you go to shut down, Windows will shut down, but the power supply will remain on until switched off manually...that's the nature of this beast. (A quick way to tell if you have an AT mobo is to look at the back where the keyboard plugs in. If the keyboard plug is oversized (larger than PS2, then it is an AT)

Good to have you on board.....

wannabe1

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Thank you, Im glad to be on board mate.

To your question, there is not USB's and only a PS2 for the keyboard and mouse.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Howdy again Tony_1983....

when she shuts down..... its says that is it safe to shut down.

The "It's now safe" message is a pretty good indicator of an AT board or at least of a BIOS version that doesn't support automatic power off. Ain't progress grand? Any more if the machine doesn't turn off by itself, it's broken... :tazz:

wannabe1

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Lol, yeah it is a bummer lol. [bleep] my moms computer lol.

Lucky I use my own one lol.