Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New ATA/133 Controller PCI Card

• Please log in to reply

hyeok

hyeok

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I've installed a new Adaptec Ultra ATA/133 IDE controller card. I attached a Maxtor 300GB HDD as the primary master and a Plextor-716A DVD+-RW drive as the secondary master. As for the on-board IDE channels, I have a Maxtor 40GB HDD as the primary master, an LG CD-RW drive as the secondary Master, and a Pioneer DVD-rom drive as the secondary slave. Now, the 40GB Maxtor HDD is the boot drive and it has been specified as such in my AMI Bios.

The problem is, the computer won't boot when the primary master on the Adaptec PCI IDE controller card is attached (the 300GB HDD). The boot-up stalls on the screen where you see the big box of system specs. Normally, a text appears on the bottom of the table where it says "checking floppy for boot-up information" or something like that, but that never shows up. It just gets stuck there. Now when I unplug the 300GB HDD from the PCI Controller card at this point, the computer suddenly un-freezes itself and continues to boot up fine.

I've already installed the drivers for the PCI Card in windows, and the device is identified as a "Silicon Image Sil 0680 ATA/133 Controller". Windows also recognized the DVD burner on the secondary master fine.

During the boot up process, another text also appears right after the memory chekc but before the big table of specs. It reads as follows:

Sil 0680 ATA/133 Controller Bios Version 3.2.10
Copyright © 1997-2003 Silicon Image, Inc.
Press F3 to enter Configuration Ultility
Driver Number: 2 Plextor DVDR

As you can see, the computer has trouble recognizing the maxtor 300GB even at this stage.

If I press F3, it simply commands me to enter the drive number for the primary drive. I've tried entering just 1 but nothing happens afterwards.

Please help, as I would like to keep this 300GB on the new ATA controller as a Primary master. I could always just attach it as the primary slave on the on-board IDE controller, or as a secondary slave on the new ATA controller, but I would like to keep it the way it is for performance reasons.

My motherboard is a Mainboard P4S5A.

Many thanks in advance!

EDIT: All of the drives have been jumpered with the correct master/slave designation (as far as I know). None of the them have been jumpered as "Cable Select". My motherboard has an on-board Ultra ATA/100 IDE controller. You can see why I would like to keep the new 300GB HDD on the new IDE controller that is ATA/133.

Edited by hyeok, 17 August 2005 - 05:30 PM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi hyeok

Are you certain that the ata133 pci card supports drives upto 300GB?

What do you have the boot order/priority set to in the bios?

Also, the drive number of the boot drive (master IDE drive) is usually 0, not 1

hyeok

hyeok

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Hi hyeok

Are you certain that the ata133 pci card supports drives upto 300GB?

What do you have the boot order/priority set to in the bios?

Also, the drive number of the boot drive (master IDE drive) is usually 0, not 1

View Post

Right, I already have the boot drive set to IDE-0. My boot order is floppy, HDD, and then CDROM. Once again, the boot-up process goes well if I don't have the 300GB HDD plugged in.

Also, the Adaptec PCI IDE controller card is clearly marked as being able to support harddrives over 137GB.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Never unplug a drive while it's working. Is the 300gb drive partitioned and formatted? Does it have any kind of operating system?

hyeok

hyeok

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Never unplug a drive while it's working. Is the 300gb drive partitioned and formatted? Does it have any kind of operating system?

View Post

I only unplugged the IDE cable, not the power cable.

The 300GB HDD is a storage drive only. No operating systems. It is partitioned into one 100 GB partition and one 200GB partition. Once again, if the drive is connected on any on-board IDE channel, everything is fine. I hook it up as a primary master on the new PCI IDE controller, and the computer won't boot. But I know the PCI controller is working fine cause the DVD-RW drive hooked upto it is working fine. :tazz: What a weird situation.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Try hooking it up as the slave on the card. I'm betting that the system defaults to the card primary master, which then doesn't boot. You may find some way to change the boot order in BIOS or Device Manager.

And of course, when all else fails, read the instructions. You may also be able to Google for cases where other people had this problem.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Tyger beat me to that one - i was about to suggest the same thing - set the drive as a slave & try it.

Also, try moving the card to another pci slot. Also, double check the cabling etc - if the card itself doesn't even recognise the hard drive, then it suggests that something in the configuration is wrong. Make sure the cable is inserted the right way round etc & the jumpering is correct