Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dual Booting

• Please log in to reply

bicentennial_man543

bicentennial_man543

• Pip
  • 2 posts
my computer's primary hard drive has windows xp on it...but the other day i decided that i would take a hard drive from an older computer and install it as a secondary in my new computer...i installed the hard drive without a problem...but it has the windows millenium os on it and some other programs that i would like to access. The problem is that i cant boot windows millenium, it doesn't show it in the os choices menu...i think it is because of the windows xp boot.ini file but i dont have any idea what to do about it :tazz:

so i need help and i would greatly apreciate it

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Have you gone into Setup and checked the settings? In some BIOS systems you can change primary master to none and secondary to auto and boot from the second device. You may just have to go into setup whenever you want to boot from the second drive.

Unknown-Entity

Unknown-Entity

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Normally you would install the earliest OS first, in this case, WindowsME on your PRIMARY HDD.

You will then have to install the second OS on the PRIMARY HDD also.

This is due to the fact that the BOOT.INI resides there.

You will probably have to salvage whatever info you can from the Secondary HDD or use it as a Primary in another PC if you need it that much.

bicentennial_man543

bicentennial_man543

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
tyger i did what you said...and it booted right up. after about 5 minutes of it detecting hardware changes and installing drivers i was able to get to everything :tazz: