Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Nothing Responds-Hard Shutdown Required

• Please log in to reply

cathy52

cathy52

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am unable to open any program, any document, assess internet & have to shutdown by disconnecting the power source (hard shutdown) on my IBM Thinkpad 2373.

I assessed safemode & ran my anti-virus software & everything looked okay-no virus or errors or corrections.

Prior to running the check nothing would respond, now the start menu responds & I can shutdown normally. However if I try to open a program or log onto the internet then I have to "hard shutdown", the hourglass just spins slowly or very slowly, but nothing happens.

I also tried running in debug mode & the programs don't respond.

Please tell me what else I can try or what's happening and what to do to fix the problem?
tia

Advertisements

cathy52

cathy52

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have started in safe mode system restore, an error message that I could not restore to a previous date because Microsoft Office error 134, system32/FM20.DLL, SKU0.11 CAB could not ...?

I can assess the internet in safe mode & open some programs now, but when I revert to regular startup nothing opens.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi cathy52...Welcome to G2G!

Click Start > Run and type "chkdsk /f" without the quotes (note the space between chkdsk and /f) and click Ok. It may ask to perform this on reboot...that's fine, let it. Restart your machine and see if things get better.

wannabe1

cathy52

cathy52

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks wannabe1

no response from regular startup menu - cursor & clock icon appear on start menu-nothing responded - hard disconnect

start up again in safe mode & followed your instructions

'could not run check disk - in use - chose automatic run when reboot'

reboot in regular mode - check disk started

things looking good-able to get on line & check for virus updates

thanks once again

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi cathy52...

Glad I was able to help you out! If you encounter further problems, please feel free to post back.

Happy Computing!! :tazz:

wannabe1