Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

yet another wireless problem

• Please log in to reply

canadianchicklet

canadianchicklet

• PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
hi there i have been trying for 3 months now, in my spare time , to get our ps2 online , so we can play our favorite monsterhunter(cheers) anyhow we live in the basement to my parents and they have a main computer upstairs i bought a dlink wireless router so we can have internet down here, my dad wont drill a hole for the patch cord so we bought a linksys wireless adapter g and hoped to get it working but,..... nope. i have no idea what to do. i phoned the linksys tech support and he said i needed a straight thru cord, i went to future shop and they said that all i need to do is set the settings on dlink for g or b (i think b) if anyone has any idea what i can do please let me know, my kids are waiting patiently and im getting frustrated. the operating system on the main computer is windows xp and the operating system on the downstairs computer is windows 98se

Edited by canadianchicklet, 17 August 2005 - 09:54 PM.

Advertisements

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
we need more information to help. Does the wireless receive the signal? Posting the result of ipconfig /all here may help. or check this wireless setup

Don't setup wireless devices directly under a Wireless Router. 3. Setup Wireless Router's antenna(s) vertically. 4. Point wireless adapter's antenna toward ...
http://www.chicagote...et/wireless.htm

canadianchicklet

canadianchicklet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
MY computer is down i have a new one on the way i will continue with this when i get set up... thanks for the help thus far tho!:tazz:

torr10

torr10

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
On the xp machine....did you run the network wizard? The last step is to create a network disk. You need that disk to run on the 98 machine. Without that it will see absolutely nothing.

98 was not very network friendly for home users. It worked and once it was set up it worked well. But upgrade that system to xp and it might install easier.

canadianchicklet

canadianchicklet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
hi ok we have our new computer now and it is an xp operating system so..... ok we have dlink wireless router(air plus g) and we are using the dlink air plus g wireless usb adapter on our computer downstairs which is also where we want the wireless linksys for ps2 to go . Where does the software for linksys go , in the computer upstairs with the internet connection or on our computer downstairs which is connected with wireless connection, i forget what other information is needed to help with this problem but ask away and i will respond lickety split

torr10

torr10

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Now you're getting a little out of the way. You need to 'rtm'. Read The Manual. These are questions that are answered with the equipment and a little common sense. There is sw for both parts....think about it for a minute.

canadianchicklet

canadianchicklet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
well the reason i came to this site is because i must have done something wrong in the first place im just double checking that i have done the correct steps, i was on tech support and did everything the linksys guys said but didnt work *sigh* but sorry if the question is not ok for this forum. im a total wash out when it comes to computers lol

torr10

torr10

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I'm not trying to dictate the rules for the forum, sorry if it came across that way. That's just my opinion. If you're that computer illeterate (not trying to be mean) maybe you should consider getting a high school geek to give you a hand in person.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
TORR10 the purpose of this website is to offer help for people who are not computer literate...

NOT

to degrade or insult them or reccomend that they seek help elswhere... as geekstogo have plenty of quallified Staff and helpers to get this issue resolved...

Canadianchicklet if you are still reading this post and need help I will assist you in getting your problem resolved.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
If i am unable to get your problem resolved then CHICAGOTECH is another good resource as he is very good.

Advertisements

torr10

torr10

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
If you had bothered to read my reply I said I'm not trying to be mean. I did nothing to berate anyone, as you have berated me.

You need to learn that there are points when you have to recommend that they seek help elsewhere. If a person hasn't read the manual and tried to set things up you aren't going to be any help, because they can't answer the questions you are going to ask.

This forum is not a place where you need to come to feed 'your' ego, either. So please stop trying to do so at my expense.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
WOW this has turned south.... In my experience on this forum... most of the users posting here have only basic computer skills and they are seeking help because they have already tried their ISP and hardware manufacturers, with no success... I have also experienced that most users, who are able to get a reply from staff members or Geek helpers, are able to get their problems resolved.

I originally posted a reply to this topic to only inform you TORR that your solution to QUOTE "maybe you should consider getting a high school geek to give you a hand in person." is probably not a viable option for this user, as they are asking for help here.

Your post i just quoted is not very helpful to this user and it probably offended him, whether you meant to or not. You might want to try signing up for Geek University to get some coaching tips on how to assist people. Another option (when you are unable to solve the user's problem) would be to reccomend another staff member or more experienced user who would be able to get this users problem resolved... you are in the networking forum and some good people to reccomend are CHICAGOTECH and SAMIKO [my 2 favorites], but there are many others.

The end point to this reply TORR is that the user has come to this web site for help and you have directed them elsewhere (in my opinion rudely - but I am not the administrator).

In the last part of your reply you stated QUOTE "You need to learn that there are points when you have to recommend that they seek help elsewhere. If a person hasn't read the manual and tried to set things up you aren't going to be any help, because they can't answer the questions you are going to ask" In this reply you are incorrect. Wether this user has read the manual or not, or is computer literate or not, I am able to help resolve his problem (by walking him through it step-by-step) and if i am not then i know other users and staff members more knowledgable than me, who will be able to help this user.

Again i reccomend that you check out Geek U, as I am sure you are very knowledgable about Networking, but just need some customer care polishing.

torr10

torr10

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I'm sorry you think this has turned south. I clearly stated that my comments were not meant to offend anyone.

Now, again, had you read the thread you would have been able to discern that this person has not tried other sources. "She" just got new equipment and was asking a very simple question that a little reading and thought would have answered.

I'm not trying to offend anyone. If you find my comments offensive, I'm sorry, but maybe you should check your ego at the door.

I'm probably not the most knowledgable tech ever to have come to this site. I just think that by having a user educate themselves and think about a problem it will free up time for more experienced techs to help people that have real problems and not having to chase a simple problem.

I do tech support by the old adage about fish. Give a person an answer and you have shared an answer. Give a person a logical path to follow and you share knowledge.

torr10

torr10

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Since you tend to not want to teach people anything I will refrain from further posting on this site.

Since no one has offered a viable answer to my question, I don't have a need to bother you anymore.

Hopefully, one day, your life won't be so difficult.

Edited by torr10, 31 August 2005 - 10:43 AM.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
The original user has not replied to any of our posts, so i will not be checking this topic anymore. I use this forum to help others, not argue. Good luck to you Torr in your future endeavors.