Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dark and frozen background on my pc

• Please log in to reply

the1derfull

the1derfull

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
hey dear fellers, my ME desktop computer haven been working for quite awhile. At one moment i tried to fix it by myself but i never could so i gave up. Now i'm back to working on it but this time i need somebody's help please.

-when i turn it on, a dialop box pops up and displays:
scan disk
local disk(c:)
select drive you want to check for errors

Then when i click cancel another dialog box appears and displays:
- New hardware found:
ADD NEW HARDWARE WIZARD

windows found the following hardware:
PLUG AND PLAY MONITOR

Then again i click on cancel the screen background just darken and everything just freezes up.

thanks for guiding during this matter.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click OK to let it install the plug and play monitor and also let it scan the disc

the1derfull

the1derfull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
hi keith, thanks for your time and your help.I try to let it scan the disck like you said but it would'nt scan it until it's finished. when it was reaching about three dots it kept starting over.It kept doing the same thing for about 45 mn and then i decided to cancel the scan.

Then i installed the found hardware and after installing it, the background turned dark and everything froze again.

Also at the bottom of dialog box where it says select drive(s) you want to check for errors:

- floppy(A)
- local disk©
It also says improper shutdown detected. checking disks for errors.

I think that is because to shut the computer down i press the power button, and i don't think i have any other alternative since everything is frozen up.

thanks for your replie

Edited by the1derfull, 18 August 2005 - 07:48 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi the1derfull...Welcome to G2G!

Has your computer problem been resolved or would you still like some assistance?

wannabe1

the1derfull

the1derfull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
hi body, Im still in emergency for help,i will enormously appreciate if you can come to my rescue.

my regards

the1derfull

the1derfull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
hi wannabe 1 im still in the wait for help if you can please come to my rescue. I will greatly appreciate.

thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Start your machine and tap the F8 key during the boot sequence (right after the beep)..when you get to the Options screen, choose "Safe Mode" and see if your machine will start. If it does...run scandisk in safe mode (Start > Progams > Accessories > System Tools > ScanDisk Select "Local Disk C"... Make sure the box next to "Automatically fix errors" is checked and run a thorough scan (tick the button next to Thorough). Click "Start"...it's going to take a while...be patient.

If the Thorough scan won't run, run the the Standard scan...Let us know how it goes...

Wannabe1

the1derfull

the1derfull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
hi wannabe 1 i the start the computer in safe mode like you said but when it finished scanning it frozen again so i push the power button and it restart in normal mode and start doing the same thing it's been doing.So i shut it down using the power button and since then i never could restart it in safe mode again and it still acting the same.

thanks again

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi the1derfull...

Time for a little more information from you...

Is this an OEM computer? ie: Dell, HP, Compaq, etc...
Do you have your Windows ME cd or a set of OEM Restore cds?
If your machine is a custom built or homebuilt, please post your system specs for us.

wannabe1

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Just to chip in here, one thing you might want to check before going any further is to open the case and see if the processor fan is working. Some CPUs will heat up very quickly if the fan isn't working, or even if it has a great deal of dust on it. I just fixed a machine that had that problem and it had many of your symptoms.

the1derfull

the1derfull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
hi wannabe 1 once again thanks for your time. As to my computer specs it's a 2001 dell.
-microsoft windows millennium editon
-have windows ME cd
-custom built computer.

hope those are the info you needed.