Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

nvidia 6600 w/crappy monitor...new monitor needed?

• Please log in to reply

wimplewurm

wimplewurm

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey,
thanks in advance for any help you guys/girls/whatever! can give me. I just bought a great computer that is assuredly decent for gaming, then I bought sid meier's pirates! I hooked it up to my old monitor my parents bought me 3 years ago on sale...it's a "princeton" and as far as I can tell its maximum res is 1024x768. Anyway, the screen goes black when I start pirates!. My brother just bought me GTA San Andreas and I dare not try it until I figure out whether I should just download a driver or buy a better monitor. Like I said, the computer's brand new, and I would assume that all drivers are updated. Help!
P.S. I've also noticed the monitor flickering, though barely perceptibly--it doesn't affect the viewing or anything but it's noticable--does this have something to do with the graphics card, as well? Thank you!

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Perceptible flickering is caused by the 'refresh rate' of the monitor being set too low. It's usually set as 'Windows Default' on a fresh install of Windows, but needs to be set to 72 hertz minimum. Right-click any empty part of desktop and choose 'properties'. Click'settings' tab, then 'Advanced' , then click 'Monitor' tab. Make sure the option is ticked for "Hide modes this monitor cannot display". Now use the drop down to select 72 hertz. Click 'OK'. 72 hertz is not a 'written in stone' setting. Different people see flicker at different settings. the trick is to set the refresh rate at the lowest setting needed to eliminate flicker for you. Also, LCD/TFT screens don't suffer from flicker to the same degree as CRT monitors for a given refresh-rate. A TFT monitor should be flicker-free at 60 hertz.

Edited by pip22, 18 August 2005 - 05:58 AM.

wimplewurm

wimplewurm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
the rate's been set to 75; I reset it to 72. My problem isn't the flickering--I actually adjusted the display for a 1280 x 1024 size, which stopped the flickering--I want to know if I can run games like pirates! when I run pirates!, the screen goes black, I hear the music and everything, but then an actual monitor message comes up saying "out of range/ 97.4 khz/ 73.1 hz. It does this no matter how I adjust the display settings or the refresh rate--the lowest I can go is 60, the highest, 120. What should I do? Do I need to buy a new monitor?