Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Jumper Help + Pc Build Assistance Request

• Please log in to reply

PCNewb

PCNewb

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi hi I'm looking to building a computer - i need one b4 fall session starts in school - and i need to send my laptop in for repairs, but i can't be without a computer.

So far, I've collected the following parts to build the comp -

I have a month to finish btw,
[[
ANTEC TX635

AMD 64 3000 (Venice)

Abit an8-v

Mwave DDR400 (2 x 512) * trying to go for dual channel

Random Optical Drive

WD 80gig

Windows xp home
]]

But I'm really iffy about assembling it.

First off, i'm intimidated by all the jumper settings.

I dl'ed the Manual from the Abit site : (http://www.abit-usa....ies=1&model=261)

And i had a good grasp on majority of the topics EXCEPT the jumpers.

I had no idea where to start, how to configure the jumpers.. n i don't know about how to configure the related ideas like multipliers etc..

Mainly b/c the manual didn't use pics, but black and white diagrams that didn't really help. :)

Is there a more detailed guide on how to set jumpers out there? preferable with pics? :tazz:

Second Question, if I understood dual channel - i have to have the same type of memory, with the same size right?

3rd Question, I dont' have enough funds to buy a PCI-e card yet,will the assembly still function without one?

4th What do you guys think of the parts so far? Any suggestion will be welcome.

Thnx in Advance ~ PCNewb

Advertisements

RAz

RAz

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
The parts u chose so for are good... bun u still need to get some parts : CPU cooler (in case it wasn't provided with the CPU),floppy drive,video card,some cables(in case they weren't provided with the motherboard)...

To run memory on dual channel u need 2 dimms of exactly identical memory (if u want to get the max pefrormance out of it)

Yes,your computer will function without a PCI-e card

As for the jumpers read chapter 2-5. "Connectors,Headers and Switches" in the manual u downloaded.(Btw didn't the motherboard come with a manual? - if it did then use that one because it is much more easyer to read because it refers only to your motherboard ... the one you downloaded refers to 4-5 motherboards but it's not imposible even for a rookie just read it with patcience and try to understand what you read)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
No it wont function without a pci-e or pci video card unless it has onboard video. With all the parts together and having read the maual it should take you 1-2 hours to put together another 45 minutes to an hour to get windows up and running. Not a long job if you have read the manual and know what you are doing.

RAz

RAz

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
hmm ... i think a system can function WITHOUT any video card in 16 color mode or black and white...

you won't be able to play games or run certain applications but the system will run...

*EDIT*

actualy i've been thinking about this and i realized warriorscot was right ... you need a PCI-e video card or and onboard connector or you can't connect the monitor ...

silly me :tazz:

Edited by RAz, 18 August 2005 - 08:10 AM.