Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I'am having some problems. I don't think you are familier with th Lantronix XPort, but I don't think that this will be a problem with helping me.
The XPort is a device that works almost the same as a network card does. The only difference is that it doesn't go in your PC, but it has a serial port on 1 end and a RJ45 on the other.

What I want to do, is to set up my XPort in (for example) a network in Mexico and acces it from The Netherlands.

For testing I have 2 different DSL lines and 2 networks. I am able to acces the XPort on the same network, but I don't know how to acces it from the other. Communication with the XPort goes via port 10001, so I cleared this port on the secundaire network.

How do I get acces on the other network from my own network?
Let me repeat that the XPort works similair to a network card.
ANY suggestion is welcome :tazz:

PS.: I hope I placed it in the right topic

Edited by Endran, 18 August 2005 - 04:25 AM.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
I think you may have mispoke your descrition for the XPort - It doesn't act like a network card... It's function is to turn a serial port into a Cat5e Ethernet Port. From there you would have to add a different networking device (IE.. an actual external Network device)

you must first decide what protocols you are using :

ARP, UDP, TCP, ICMP, Telnet, TFTP, AutoIP, DHCP, HTTP, and SNMP for network

TCP, UDP, and Telnet for connections to the serial port.

TFTP for firmware updates.

IP for addressing, routing, and data block handling over the network.

User Datagram Protocol (UDP) for typical datagram applications in which devices interact with other devices without maintaining a point-to-point connection.

If you are unfamiliar with these settings Lantronix offers an easy setup Kit, that includes the following :

Complete, ready to use XPort and supporting evaluation board
+5VDC Universal Power Supply
RS-232 cable, DB9M/F
CAT5e UTP RJ45M/M Ethernet cable
Serial adapter, 25-pin to 9-pin
XPort CD containing a configuration utility, DeviceInstaller, Comm Port Redirector, sample code and complete user manual in PDF
RS-232 (DCE) serial interface
DIP switch configuration
LED indication for power, RS-232 transmit / receive and PIO status
Reset circuit with pushbutton
Header connector for the PIO signals CP1, CP2, and CP3
Test points to monitor the XPort’s serial interface signals

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Tanx for the reaction, but I already figured it out...
It works like a charm :tazz: