Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

linksys networking problem

• Please log in to reply

oldgeek

oldgeek

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi folks.
I have a linksys WRT54G router and WMP54G wireless card set up on my PC and a WPC54G notebook card in my laptop. I have been trying to network the two machines and have managed to get them talking to each other (after some reconfiguring of the firewalls). I am now trying to enable internet sharing on the laptop without much success, the WLAN moitor shows links between laptop, wireless card and router but no access to the internet. when I try to connect the router on the Linksys status page I get " Cannot get an IP address fromm PPPoE server" I feel sure that I have entered all the info that is required and that my modem and cards are all working ok

any suggestions please :tazz:

Edited by oldgeek, 18 August 2005 - 07:07 AM.

Advertisements

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
sounds like you don't have correct configuration. you should cal your ISP for help or post the details how you configure it.

oldgeek

oldgeek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanx for replying
here are the settings i have used
at the moment I have disabled WEP on my network as the chances of anyone getting in are fairly remote I can't and i'm in the same room

I have set TCP/IP to obtain an IP address automatically
Ditto for DNS.
In the advanced settings for IP address the box has DHCP Enabled and auto metric box is ticked
Under the DNS tab append primary and connection specific DNS suffixes button is selected
Register this connection’s address in DNS box is ticked
Under WINS tab Enable LMHOSTS lookup is ticked and Enable NETBIOS over TCP/IP is selected
Optional settings are TCP/IP filtering permit all.

Router settings, well some at least

Internet connection type is PPPoE, (I actually use PPPoATM LLC (RFC2364) when I connect via the modem but I spoke to my ISP and he told me to use PPPoE)
Connect on demand is selected
I have enabled MAC address clone and have set my kit to act as a router (as opposed to a gateway) and have set dynamic routing to BOTH.
web access server is set to HTTP

anything obvious

regards :tazz:

As a ps I have just recieved an alert on Norton. details are as follows

inetnum: 83.100.225.0 - 83.100.225.255
netname: ADSLPOOL-KCOM
descr: Karoo DSL dynamic pool
admin-c: KR2955-RIPE
tech-c: KR2955-RIPE
rev-srv: ibex.kcom.com
rev-srv: bison.kcom.com
remarks: For abuse reports, email [email protected] ONLY!
notify: [email protected]
mnt-by: KINGSTON-MNT
changed: [email protected] 20050622
source: RIPE

% RIPE database, last updated Aug 17, 2005 12:02:29 AM

karoo is my ISP it looks like it is trying to send my router an IP and it is being blocked by NIS

what do you think?

Edited by oldgeek, 18 August 2005 - 12:37 PM.

SlitNek

SlitNek

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
It is not illegal to set up a LAN and share internet so why anybody would block this is beyond me besides the TCP/IP is asigned to the modem and the router assignes each other computer its own but when you are sending and recieving info it goes back out of the modem as the IP assigned to it so wether or not you have a LAN at your house they wouldnt know

I think there is still something wrong in the setup of the router, if u can answer some basic questions for me it might let me further help u.

i see that u are using DSL so from your modem are you connected into the WAN port on the router? you said u have internet connection so you must be but i have seen linksys do some realy funny things befor that wouldnt suprise me if you werent and u are still recieving packets.

is your network WEP incripted? if it is try disabeling WEP and see if u can get a connection then, it could be that you are on the network by default but are unable to send or recieve packets over the net just local computers.

is the NIC in the laptop an external card that goes into the smc slot? if so you might want to go to linksys and try downloading a newer driver for this card or if that is what you have already done try using microsoft's driver

if it is none of these just let me know i should b able to get u up and running

SlitNek

SlitNek

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
i forgot 1 more thing, you said ur desktop is wireless as well? if so try connecting directly to it and setting it up from the begining, i myself have had problems in the past with this and i have found the easiest way to cheat it is to have a computer hard wired to the router at all times and depending on if you do alot of d/l from P2P networks or online gaming i would much rather prefer to have a hard connection that a wireless because some cordless house phones run on the same channel and it does interfear with the wireless signal as well as microwaves and other house hold appliences

oldgeek

oldgeek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I think the norton security prog on my pc is interpreting the ISP's reply to my routers request for an IP address as an attack against my machine (i am getting these warnings on average every minute) and not letting it through. it seems to be attacking the netbios-ssn port 139, I have tried reconfiguring norton but without success.
in answer to your other queries, the router is connected to the pc by a lan cable and is not connected directly to my modem (which is a PC card) the router detected the modem during setup, and the WLAN indicator on the front of the router is lit up, so I assume it is communicating ok. THe NIC in the laptop has the latest driver from Linksys and seems ok. I have turned off WEP

I will try to setup as awired network to see if that will solve the problem

Thanx guys

oldgeek

oldgeek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
update on network probs

I removed the router, set up an ad hoc network between the nic in my pc and the one in the laptop and reconfigured Internet explorer and Hey Presto everything works I still have to enable Wep which may be a prob, I find doing anything retrospectively a complete pain, but what the hay thanx to you guys for your input I got so wrapped up in setting up an infrastructure system i forgot about setting up a simple Ad Hoc

thanx again

John :tazz:

SlitNek

SlitNek

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
i didnt mean a PC card i ment to the modem from the dsl company like cable has the surfboard modem and such, you have a modem unless its something wierds like they just ran a piece of cat5 into your house

oldgeek

oldgeek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
company supplied a fujitsu 310 usb modem with just an adsl in. i need to get a modem/router combo perhaps?

SlitNek

SlitNek

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
i have never heard of that kind but then again i stopped messing with dsl a long time ago but for your answer, no you dont need anything else as long as you got it working, what i was saying is that you do have a modem and it isnt always a pc card

oldgeek

oldgeek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Gotcha thanx for your help