Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Help me please!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
I have a big problem with my computer now... Let me start off by saying that I have windows xp home edition ..

Ok so.. I scanned my computer and found a virus but the scanner wouldn't heal it.. So I deleted it.. Then explorer.exe stuffed up.. Then I booted my comp with my windows xp cd and tried to repair the whole windows.. But then after repairing it every time I tried to go into windows a message came up saying something like "we've shut down your computer to prevent damage to your system. Please check for viruses and run chkdsk F:"... So I booted my computer again with the cd and installed another windows xp OS... "C:\WINDOWS2".. And that's how I am on now.. Oh and I can still access my original files on my drive but I can't open most of them.. like word documents and real one player movies.. But I know I have microsoft word and real one.. Also the sound doesn't work and the monitor is kinda weird..

Thanks for taking the time to read my problem. Please reply if you can help me.

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Ouch! The best way to handle viruses is by using anti-virus software. If you remove a virus manually that is tied to the system, it will screw your computer up. That happened to me once. AVG (anti-virus) deleted a virus that was tied to the system. I had to restore the virus and then use Kaspersky (the best anti-virus I know of, except it slows computers down if they are not advanced enough) to get rid of the virus. Kaspersky untied the virus from the system and fixed it without a problem.

I'm sorry I can't solve your problem, but just a suggestion for the future: don't get rid of viruses manually. Use a GOOD anti-virus software.

Malware Slayer Extraordinaire!

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
I responded to your thread right here http://www.geekstogo...topic=56707&hl=

and gave u instructions to do. Please follow them and post only in that thread, do not start another one.