Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

USB ports not working after SP 2

• Please log in to reply

aaron2149

aaron2149

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi guys

Here's the problem.

Basically our computer went wrong a few months ago (while i was away), so my dad had to phone the helpline and do a system restore to get it working.

I returned home and noticed that our computer was now running SP1, as opposed to SP2 which it was running initially. I got hold of an SP2 disk and installed it. However now ever since i installled SP2 the USB ports are not working at all.

To help with this question i can provide the following info:

Motherbaord:

ASUStek computer inc.
A8v Delux

Chipset: K8T800 Pro Rev: .00
Southbridge: VT8237

The funny thing is that when i go to the harware tab it shows USB root hubs to be there, with NO errors.

Please help.

Thanks guys

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
I believe that in the XP BIOS - there is a setting for [USB] and for [PLUG & PLAY] - that may have been bumped during the UPDATE/DOWNDATE (??)

How many USB Devices do you have? You may have to re-install the drivers - SP1 provided (XP) USB Drivers - SP2 (I believe updated to USB 2.0)

Just a quick - off the top of head - idea??
Jack123

aaron2149

aaron2149

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I just tried something which was interesting, and i am sure you guys will be able to read into it more than i can.

I turned the computer off, and plugged my digi cam in. Then went into the BIOS and it detected that i had 1 USB device connected, and it gave power to it. ( It should have detected 5). However when windows started up, no USB worked again, and the power to the camera was lost.

Does this mean it is a driver issue? If so, how do i update them. I have tried right clicking on the USB root hubs and going update, but it finds nothing.

Please help!

Thanks

aaron2149

aaron2149

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have 4 USB devices connected all the time

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic: USB PORTS not working in XP
Date: 18th AUG- 2005

Yes – in a way . .You will have to [RE-INSTALL] your USB Drivers – but in the proper sequence – (May not have to) but only do 1 USB Driver at a time:

(1) – Shut down Computer
(2) – Disconnect all USB devices from Computer
(3) – Start Computer
(4) – Load a USB Driver
(5) – Restart Computer to [WINDOWS INSTALL] USB Driver
(6) – Connect USB related to newly installed Driver & Turn ON
(7) – [PLUG & PLAY] should detect [NEW HARDWARE]
(8) – Hopefully you have a USB device working

At this point – (I do not know for sure) – if you can just: Load all the remaining drivers. Then do 1 Restart to [WINDOWS INSTALL] the remaining Drivers. Try it.

After the Restart & drivers are [WINDOWS INSTALLED]:

Connect 1 USB at a time & turn ON – {PLUG & PLAY] should find & connect a USB device. Connect the next device & turn ON. Wait for [PLUG & PLAY]. Repeat for next USB device.

I think this should work. It appears that Drivers were loaded, but not [WINDOWS INSTALLED].

It appears that [PLUG & PLAY] has to have USB Drivers [WINDOWS INSTALLED] 1st before device is connected. In order to have a driver [WINDOWS INSTALLED] – You have to do a Restart – (Without its device connected) – (For 1st Time)

When you had SP1 & SP2 compromised – you violated this rule. And what probably started your problem – (was more than likely) – a [M$] Windows Update that “Bumped” USB configuration (?) in some manner???.

The bad thing about this – You probably lost this UPDATE – when you did the SP1 & SP2 sequence – So you will MAY receive a NEW UPDATE that will “Bump” your USB again.

Try this scheme & see what happens
Jack123

aaron2149

aaron2149

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
How to i load a USB driver?

I tried turning computer off, then removing all USB connections then restarting it, and just plugged my scanner in, and tried to reinstall the scanner driver. But nothing happened?

This is really frustraiting! Can ne 1 shed some light?

thanks guys

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
WHAT YOU DID – WAS NOT WHAT I SAID -

FOLLOW THIS ORDER: - WINDOWS HAS TO [INSTALL] USB DRIVER FIRST – DO NOT CONNECT SCANNER UNTIL – STEP 8 –

STEP 4 ONLY LOADS DRIVER INTO PC

STEP 6 INSTALLS DRIVER for PLUG & PLAY –

THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE BETWEEN [LOAD] & [INSTALL]

DO NOT CONNECT BEFORE INSTALL –

THE ORDER IS:

1- LOAD
2- INSTALL
3- CONNECT

USB INSTALLATION ORDER:

(1) – Shut down Computer
(2) – Disconnect all USB devices from Computer
(3) – Start Computer – (WITH NO USB DEVICES)
(4) – Load LATEST SCANNER USB Driver – FIRST (BEFORE CONNECTING SCANNER}
(5) – NEXT STEP IS THE IMPORTANT STEP!!!!!!
(6) – Restart Computer to have [WINDOWS INSTALL] SCANNER USB Driver (FIRST)
(7) – Wait – Until [WINDOWS] is INSTALLED & RUNNING
(8) – NOW – Connect SCANNER TO A USB PORT & Turn ON
(9) – [PLUG & PLAY] should detect [NEW HARDWARE] and INSTALL SCANNER

IMPORTANT NOTE ON SCANNER:

(1) – Does it have an external AC Power Cord??
(2) – If it does not & if it receives its POWER from USB Port – Then you should have an EXTERNALLY POWERED USB HUB THAT SCANNER PLUGS INTO – IT PROBABLY DRAWS MORE POWER THAN PC USB CAN DELIVER!!!
(3) – AND if you do require USB HUB – then it must be installed 1st –

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 19 August 2005 - 12:56 PM.

aaron2149

aaron2149

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
:tazz:

Yipeee

guys, every one was over complicating things. i have found a solution to this problem.

Simply go to my computer (right click) --> properties ---> hardware ---> USB devices. then uninstall every single USB device.

Then restart windows and then BINGO. Welcome back USB devices :-D