Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My computer wont do POST

• Please log in to reply

Siten0308

Siten0308

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hey,

Well i have a computer that i recently had trouble with, well now i have even more trouble, when i turned on the computer the other night, it did not even go into POST, i checked to see if my motherboard light was on, but did not turn on at all. it just sounded like it was trying to do something, but it did not complete the process at all.
Specs,

MSI motherboard socket 478 FSB 800
P4 3.06
1GB ram
ATI 9600 second edition video card
2 X DVD players
350Watts

Also, the original problem was due to it kept over heating and turning itself off, i was going to buy a 500 WATT supply, is it too late?? could the motherborad just be fried and possibly the CPU??!!! please help

Advertisements

RAz

RAz

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
if the system gets overheated you need a better cooling system...

i never seen an intel P4 fried CPU and your M/B must have overheat protection for both itself and the CPU so i dout they got fried...

the system might be underpowerd though... you could try the 500 WAT supply...

did you try to overcloak you system by any chance ? or changed some bios settings? that could cause your computer to crash durind post or not start at all..

Siten0308

Siten0308

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hey,

Problem after another, it gets better, well now i got a 500W supply, now when i enter the BIOS and it is doing POST, it only goes up to Checking IDE, does not do nothing else, it looks like it is frozen or something, i try pressing the delete to go into CMOS and such but does not, just goes up to Checking IDe and thats it. please help. Ohh also my other computer did that, is it maybe the IDE cable? or did i mess something up?

Thanks