Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dell Inspiron 4000 Sound Card Trouble

• Please log in to reply

jwoods05

jwoods05

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm working on a Dell Inspiron 4000 laptop for a friend. It's a PIII 700 w/128 RAM running XP Pro. I had to do an OS repair to get the system to boot properly. Did this and everything installed fine and booted properly except for the sound card. It's an ESS Maestro 3 chip. Went to ESS site and downloaded XP driver and attempted to install. It gets to the end of the install process (self extracting exe) and hangs. Have left for couple of hours and still stuck. Thought it may have been a corrupt download, so downloaded 3 more times with same result. After this, I just unpacked driver files into folder and tried to add new hardware using the inf files. Same result, system just hangs and won't go any further. End up having to hard re-boot and when I do, I get to the XP splash screen and it hangs there. Checked the log and it's hanging when trying to load the sound driver. Other than that, no other errors logged. Googled my problem and only thing I can find is people having trouble loading this card on Linux which is no help. Wondering if anyone has had this problem before or could point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
have you tried getting the driver from dell's website...sometimes they have "special" drivers that are like 2 lines of code different from the actual manufacturer's driver

jwoods05

jwoods05

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yeah, I tried that first (left that out in original post) but still the same result. I'm almost ready to chuck it up to being a bad sound card. Thanks for your reply :tazz: