Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Event ID 1041

• Please log in to reply

rachelp

rachelp

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
We cannot connect to our Windows 2000 server because we keep getting this error. I found the error here http://support.micro...kb;en-us;298490 and tried to follow directions to fix it, but under "Connections and server bindings" there is nothing to select. Can anybody help me fix this problem?
Thanks,
Rachel :tazz:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
is the dhcp service stoppped when you try this?

rachelp

rachelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
No, but nobody can log onto the software program located on the server. I tried stopping and restarting server service, but it says it can't locate the domain that I type in.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
well...that error code that you referenced is pointing to a dhcp error....so...i am assuming that this error log was found on the dhcp server...are all of your servers (if you have more than one) using static ip addresses?

rachelp

rachelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
We only have one and it does use a static IP.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
ok so you have one server with a static ip address that is running dhcp to assign ip addresses to your clients. i assume that you have an actual domain structure set up since you can't get it to recognize the domain. you have to get dhcp to actually run before you can have dns which you have to have before you can run a domain...i'm gonna take a guess that you have troubleshot the physical device (nic card and cables)

rachelp

rachelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I don't think that it is physical because it happened after we restarted the server and for some reason we can still access programs on the server with Windows 98 PCs.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i would still check the hardware

rachelp

rachelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
The NIC says that its working correctly and all the cables are plugged in.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
can you ping from the server? to the server? to the internet (such as www.google.com)? are the client's recieving ip addresses? try ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew on a desktop

rachelp

rachelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I tried ipconfig/release & ipconfig/renew, both worked from my desktop PC, I can ping the internet from my PC, I can ping the server from my PC, and my PC is receiving an IP address from the server.

rachelp

rachelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
We figured it out, Netlogon Service needed to be started. It must not have started up when we restarted the server.

rachelp

rachelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks for all your help!!! :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP