Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Audio on PC

• Please log in to reply

GoCompute

GoCompute

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
I just did a fresh install of Windows 98 SE, and everything went fine. Until I discovered that I had no sound. Now it seems I have 2 audio devices, a SoundMAX Intregrated Digital Audio which has the driver installed, and appears in the Device Manager under Sound, video and game controllers, but in Everest it appears I have a Intel 82801BA ICH2 - AC'97 Audio Controller. This one seems to have no driver and I have had trouble finding one. The manufactuerer of my computer is Intel. An Everest Report can be supllied if requested.

:tazz: ,
Ethan

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If your audio card is integrated with the motherboard then open the computer, identify the motherboard (intel is not enough. you need the exact type of board, as should be written on it), enter Intel internet domain, search for the sound driver of your board, download and install.

If you have the original drivers disk which should be supplied with every new computer, download the audio driver from there. The advantage of downloading from the internet is that you get the most updated driver.

If your sound card is not integrated to the board then identify the card and install the driver either from a disk or from the manufacturer's domain.

Check in the BIOS if audio was not disabled accidenally.

GoCompute

GoCompute

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Okay on the BIOS it appears that it is enabled.

My Audio tab on the Multimedia control panel, is all greyed out. My SoundMAX sound card appears to be fine, but several PCI devices appear unfunctioning.

This includes:

--PCI Communication Device
--PCI System Managment Bus

And also includes an Unknown Device, which my PC doesn't anything about. This wouldn't have anything to do with it, would it?

My motherboard is an Intel Easton D815EEA according to Everest.

And my volume control icon does not appear in the system tray.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Do you have a PCI sound card in your computer as well?

GoCompute

GoCompute

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
I am not sure about that. The PCI sound card just may be that Unknown Device.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
where do you plug your speaker at into the back of the machine? near the mouse ports...or down closer to the bottom of the case where your nic card or modem is?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Posted Image