Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cant boot from xp disc

• Please log in to reply

jerkofski

jerkofski

• Pip
  • 3 posts
have the error message --------

Security Accounts Manager initialization failed because of the following error: A device attached to the system is not functioning.
Error Status: 0xc0000001.
Please click OK to shut down this system and reboot into Safe Mode, check event log for more detailed information.

i understand i need to replace the sam file, but cant get windows to boot from the cd. It seemes to start to boot and installs a few files but then just hangs at the "windows is starting screen" i cant get to the install a fresh copy of windows option, so i cant perform a parallel installation of Windows XP. I'd rather not reformat but even if i wanted that option i cant get to it as it wont boot.

can anyone suggest anthing

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Unplug everything from the computer except keyboard and mouse. Reboot. Check the event log.

Johanna

jerkofski

jerkofski

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
it wont boot to let me check the event log, even tried another hard drive and set broken one to slave but soon as it tries to load the operating system on the good hard drive it seems to detect the bad one and says failed to start operating system. I cant understand how i cant boot form the first hard drive

:tazz:

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Can you describe exactly what you did with the XP cd? It sounds like you may have inadvertently trashed the OS with it?

Johanna

RAz

RAz

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
did you try using the Repair option instead of installing a fresh copy?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i would remove all internal stuff as well...just leave the ram vid card and hd in there....see if it will boot...that first error you mentioned suggests that something important is broken...but in true windows fashion it doesn't tell you what