Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stopping a program from launching on startup

• Please log in to reply

Dava

Dava

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

I just loaded Sony Picture Package on my computer & ever since I've noticed my computer has slowed down. When I pull up the Task Manager I realized it was installed to load and run in the background every time I turn on my computer. I want to turn this off so it only installs and runs when I need it to. Does anyone know how to do this?

Also, I notice in my Task Manager there are ALOT of processes running the moment I start my computer. Anyone know which of these are safe to eliminate from the start up automatic launch menu?

THanks!
Dava

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Dava...Welcome to G2G!

Click "Start" and then choose "Run" from the menu. In the text box type "msconfig " (without the quotes) and click "Ok". Click on the "Startup" tab and find the application you want to stop in the list. Clear the check box next to that application and click "Apply" and then "Ok". Don't get carried away stopping applications in there...many of them are necesary to run Windows. You can search for information on startup programs and whether they are required at startup Here.

wannabe1

Dava

Dava

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
THanks so much!! I remembered someone walking me through that a long time ago but couldn't find it for the life of me. I really appreciate it :tazz:

Dava

drljspr

drljspr

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Search the web for startup inspector, Its free. Run it every once in a while to see what programs are running. It allows you to stop and start programs on startup. Checking the box and hitting apply runs the program at startup. Un checking the box and clicking apply, deletes the program from startup. It does not delete the file. Used it for years.

drljspr