Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound Suddenly Muffled

• Please log in to reply

dianab9311

dianab9311

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I've got a Genuine Intel Desktop Board D865GBF with SoundMax and the sound has suddenly become muffled no matter what I play on it. Even the startup is muffled now.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers but its still muffled. I'm on Windows XP.

Any help would be much appreciated! I'm a bit paniced because I start teaching a dramatic radio class next week and really need to be able to listen to different mp3s, etc.

Thanks so much in advance!

Advertisements

MajorFatCat

MajorFatCat

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Hi there!

There can be various reasons why your sound does not work.

1. The speakers may not be installed correctly.
2. The speakers may not be plugged in or the power may be turned off.
3. The speakers may not be compatible with your Operating System.

Check if your speakers are compatible with your Operating System, check if they are installed and if everything is plugged in correctly.

LadyRider63

LadyRider63

• Pip
  • 1 posts
MajorFatCat, I have recently had the same problem as dianab. The sound works, it's just muffled. There have been no recent changes to my system, it doesn't appear that any of your previous suggestions apply. Do you have any other thoughts as to why this may be happening?