Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I get Ad Watch to allow Registry changes? [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

BosqueBoy

BosqueBoy

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I've got a few entries in my registry that are left-overs from spyware removal and also one from program removal that I want to delete. Every time I do so, Ad Watch will "detect" a change in the registry and replace them. I know that it is Ad Watch that is doing this because if I just shut Ad Watch down and remove the entries, they stay gone until I start Ad Watch again. There must be a "memory" file in which Ad Watch is storing the "old registry." Can someone please tell me how to convince Ad Watch that I know what I'm doing when I tinker with my registry? :tazz:

I have tried unselecting, in Ad Watch, "Load Ad-Watch on Windows start up," "Lock start-up section," "Lock executable file associations" and "Block suspicious processes." I then boot into Safe Mode, run HijackThis to delete the offending entries. When I reboot into normal mode and have a look with Hijack This, the entries are indeed gone. I can reboot a couple of times with the same results. However, as soon as I load Ad Watch, they are back again. Grrrrr.

Most likely this is a problem with a simple answer, but this simple mind is having difficulty in finding it! Any help will be gratefully received.

Advertisements

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
I am sure that you are aware that tinkering with registry can lead to system crashing.

In case you want me to have a look at your logs, I can do so.

To persuade ad watch to allow changes do this -

Open Ad Aware (not adwatch). In the top right hand side there a some icons. Click on Settings (icon looks like a cog wheel). Click on Ad Watch. Under Memory and Registry, there are four items. Make sure all four are unchecked. Click on Proceed.

BosqueBoy

BosqueBoy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

I am sure that you are aware that tinkering with registry can lead to system crashing.

In case you want me to have a look at your logs, I can do so.
To persuade ad watch to allow changes do this  -
Open Ad Aware (not adwatch). In the top right hand side there a some icons. Click on Settings (icon looks like a cog wheel). Click on Ad Watch. Under Memory and Registry, there are four items. Make sure all four are unchecked. Click on Proceed.

View Post

I always backup the registry before I change anything.

My Ad Aware SE doesn't seem to work the way yours does. If I click on the cog wheel, I don't get an "Ad Watch" choice to click on. The settings all appear to be for Ad Aware. Anyway, I went to the "Scanning" menu and found Memory and Registry with 5 choices. I unchecked all 5. Rebooted and using Hijack This, tried to remove the unwanted lines. That didn't work.

Here is my Hijack This log with the unwanted lines in bold. The first and third files are leftovers from spyware removal (spysheriff as I recall), and the second entry is something that was left after the software was removed from my computer. I really appreciate your help in getting Ad Watch to let me remove these time and space wasters.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 7:45:36 PM, on 8/18/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Norton Ghost 2003\GhostStartTrayApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliType Pro\type32.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe
C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Plus\Ad-Watch.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Distillr\acrotray.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe
C:\Program Files\Executive Software\Diskeeper\DkService.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\NORTON~1\GHOSTS~2.EXE
C:\QUICKENW\QWDLLS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\KodakCCS.exe
C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\FrameworkService.exe
C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\Mcshield.exe
C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\VsTskMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ulead Systems\DVD\ULCDRSvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~2\FIREFOX.EXE
C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program

Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program

files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEToolbarHelper Class - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - C:\Program

Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program

O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PinnacleDriverCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\PSDrvCheck.exe -CheckReg
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [GhostStartTrayApp] C:\Program Files\Symantec\Norton Ghost

2003\GhostStartTrayApp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [type32] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliType Pro\type32.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelliPoint] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Archive] C:\Program Files\Archive\archive.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NexusServer] "c:\program files\common files\canopus shared\procoder2\
kernel\cache\pnxservr.exe" -SelfLaunch

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Skype] "C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /nosplash /minimized
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AWMON] "C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Plus\Ad-Watch.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Windows installer] C:\winstall.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Acrobat Assistant.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat

6.0\Distillr\acrotray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common

Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat

7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Kaspersky Anti-Hacker.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Kodak EasyShare software.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak EasyShare

software\bin\EasyShare.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Quicken Startup.lnk = C:\QUICKENW\QWDLLS.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program

files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://c:\program

files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmwordtrans.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program

files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program

files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel -

res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program

files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://c:\program

files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program

Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\npjpi150_04.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} -

C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\npjpi150_04.dll
O9 - Extra button: ATI TV - {44226DFF-747E-4edc-B30C-78752E50CD0C} - C:\Program Files\ATI

Multimedia\TV\EXPLBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program

Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmesus.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} -

C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmesus.dll
O16 - DPF: {0E8D0700-75DF-11D3-8B4A-0008C7450C4A} (DjVuCtl Class) -

http://www.lizardtec...ntrol_en_US.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) -

http://www.pandasoft...free/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {E36C5562-C4E0-4220-BCB2-1C671E3A5916} (Seagate SeaTools English Online) -

http://www.seagate.c.../npseatools.cab
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: Diskeeper - Executive Software International, Inc. - C:\Program

Files\Executive Software\Diskeeper\DkService.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program

Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: GhostStartService - Symantec Corporation -

O23 - Service: Kodak Camera Connection Software (KodakCCS) - Eastman Kodak Company -

O23 - Service: McAfee Framework Service (McAfeeFramework) - Network Associates, Inc. -

O23 - Service: Network Associates McShield (McShield) - Network Associates, Inc. -

O23 - Service: Network Associates Task Manager (McTaskManager) - Network Associates, Inc. -

O23 - Service: Ulead Burning Helper (UleadBurningHelper) - Ulead Systems, Inc. - C:\Program

Files\Common Files\Ulead Systems\DVD\ULCDRSvr.exe

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Hi,

When I go to Ad Aware and check out the help file (specifically looking for Ad Watch) then this is what it says.

To view the Ad-watch configuration screen, open Ad-aware, click the "Settings" quick launch button at the top right to display the "Settings" main menu and then click the "Ad-watch" button.

Load Ad-watch on windows start up
- Ad-watch will start with Windows. This option does not require that Ad-aware be configured for automatic mode and can be used concurrently.

Ad-watch window always on top - The Ad-watch window will remain on top of other open windows on the monitor screen.

Real-time accuracy
- Determines the speed at which Ad-watch responds to detected items. This means how many concurrent threads Ad-watch will analyze. Please note that at higher settings, more CPU cycles will be required. Set this according to your system's available resources.

· Basic - lowest setting available and uses the least resources and good for old or limited systems. 

· Medium - Mid range setting and a good compromise on intermediate systems. 

· High - Uses slightly more resources as the Medium option and is recommended for modern systems. 

Lock startup sections in registry - The start up (run) sections of the registry will be locked. No changes will be permitted.

Block possible browser hijack attempts - Stops suspicious files from attaching to and taking over the browser.

Block suspicious processes - Ad-watch will block all suspicious processes on the system.

Lock executable file associations - Blocks (only) the most common associations (used by worms and viruses) so that they cannot stealthily change executable, shortcut and registry file associations.

In any case we will have to disable ad watch temporarily otherwise the entries which you pointed out in Hijack This cant be fixed, even though the underlying files have been deleted.

Can you check and let me know what your version of Help says ????

BosqueBoy

BosqueBoy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
When I do a search in the Help I found the following:

"In an effort to make Ad-Watch both easier to use and to configure, we have separated most of the Ad-Watch configurations and placed them within the Ad-Watch user interface (UI)."

I'm using Ad-Aware SE Plus v.1.06. Apparently, we are using different versions of
Ad-Aware.

Anyway, I figured out how to get rid of the entries in my version.

Here's what I did:

First, in Ad-Watch Options, uncheck "Lock Start-Up Sections" and at the bottom of the menu, uncheck "Automatic." Reboot. Run Hijack This and check the undesired lines. Then start Ad-Watch Options and check "Lock start-up section." Ad-Watch immediately discovers that there have been changes to the registry but since you are no longer on "Automatic," you are asked whether to Accept or Block each of the changes. By "Accepting" the changes, my HiJack This log is now clear of the three undesired lines.

Thanks very much, Tampabelle, for getting me to thinking along the right lines and also inspiring me to dig a little deeper in the "Help" file where I found the difference between "Automatic" and "Manual."

BosqueBoy

BosqueBoy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NexusServer] "c:\program files\common files\canopus shared\procoder2\
kernel\cache\pnxservr.exe" -SelfLaunch

Oops! I forgot to say that the line above was controlled by the Ad-Watch Option "Lock Executable File Associations." It was unchecked at the same time as "Lock Start-up section." The other two lines were "start-up" actions.

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Hi BosqueBoy,

There is one thing I would definitely confirm --

I dont know everything and I am learning everyday !!!!

The only difference between you and me is that I am probably know a little better as to which direction to look in !!!.

Yeah I have Ad aware Pro installed so maybe that accounts for the difference between our handling of the situation.

Well now that you know how to disable Ad Watch ( me also), let me know how your fix goes. Post a HJT log after the fix.

BosqueBoy

BosqueBoy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Here is the now "clean" Hijack This log. Please have a look through it and if you see anything that might be left over from the SpySheriff episode. I think that the winstall.exe and archive.exe were probably the last bits, but I may be missing something else. Thanks again for the help, Tampabelle!

Scan saved at 11:33:12 PM, on 8/18/2005

Running processes:

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEToolbarHelper Class - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PinnacleDriverCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\PSDrvCheck.exe -CheckReg
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [GhostStartTrayApp] C:\Program Files\Symantec\Norton Ghost 2003\GhostStartTrayApp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [type32] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliType Pro\type32.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelliPoint] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Skype] "C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /nosplash /minimized
O4 - Global Startup: Acrobat Assistant.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Distillr\acrotray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Kodak EasyShare software.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmwordtrans.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\npjpi150_04.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\npjpi150_04.dll
O9 - Extra button: ATI TV - {44226DFF-747E-4edc-B30C-78752E50CD0C} - C:\Program Files\ATI Multimedia\TV\EXPLBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmesus.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmesus.dll
O16 - DPF: {0E8D0700-75DF-11D3-8B4A-0008C7450C4A} (DjVuCtl Class) - http://www.lizardtec...ntrol_en_US.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoft...free/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {E36C5562-C4E0-4220-BCB2-1C671E3A5916} (Seagate SeaTools English Online) - http://www.seagate.c.../npseatools.cab
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: Diskeeper - Executive Software International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Executive Software\Diskeeper\DkService.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: GhostStartService - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\NORTON~1\GHOSTS~2.EXE
O23 - Service: Kodak Camera Connection Software (KodakCCS) - Eastman Kodak Company - C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\KodakCCS.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Framework Service (McAfeeFramework) - Network Associates, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\FrameworkService.exe
O23 - Service: Network Associates McShield (McShield) - Network Associates, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\Mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: Network Associates Task Manager (McTaskManager) - Network Associates, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\VsTskMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Ulead Burning Helper (UleadBurningHelper) - Ulead Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ulead Systems\DVD\ULCDRSvr.exe

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Run Hijack This and click on scan. The following items need to be fixed -

Close all windows other than Hijack This. Check the boxes next to above items and click on Fix checked.

Reboot the PC and post a fresh HJT log

BosqueBoy

BosqueBoy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ad Watch, with "Automatic" unchecked caught the two registry changes and I had to approve them! I think we've got that part right now.

Here's my latest log. What about the two entries with = ? at the end? One for Kaspersky Anti Hacker and one for Microsoft Office. Should those programs be reinstalled or what? Thanks again, Tampabelle.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scan saved at 8:31:40 AM, on 8/19/2005

Running processes:
C:\PROGRA~1\Lavasoft\AD-AWA~1\Ad-Watch.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program

Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program

O2 - BHO: AcroIEToolbarHelper Class - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - C:\Program

O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program

O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [GhostStartTrayApp] C:\Program Files\Symantec\Norton Ghost

2003\GhostStartTrayApp.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Acrobat Assistant.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat

6.0\Distillr\acrotray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common

Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat

7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Kodak EasyShare software.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak EasyShare

software\bin\EasyShare.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program

files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://c:\program

files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmwordtrans.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program

files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program

files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel -

res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program

files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://c:\program

files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program

Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\npjpi150_04.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} -

C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\npjpi150_04.dll
O9 - Extra button: ATI TV - {44226DFF-747E-4edc-B30C-78752E50CD0C} - C:\Program Files\ATI

Multimedia\TV\EXPLBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program

Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmesus.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} -

C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmesus.dll
O16 - DPF: {0E8D0700-75DF-11D3-8B4A-0008C7450C4A} (DjVuCtl Class) -

http://www.lizardtec...ntrol_en_US.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) -

http://www.pandasoft...free/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {E36C5562-C4E0-4220-BCB2-1C671E3A5916} (Seagate SeaTools English Online) -

http://www.seagate.c.../npseatools.cab
O23 - Service: Diskeeper - Executive Software International, Inc. - C:\Program

Files\Executive Software\Diskeeper\DkService.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program

Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: GhostStartService - Symantec Corporation -

O23 - Service: Kodak Camera Connection Software (KodakCCS) - Eastman Kodak Company -

O23 - Service: McAfee Framework Service (McAfeeFramework) - Network Associates, Inc. -

O23 - Service: Network Associates McShield (McShield) - Network Associates, Inc. -

O23 - Service: Network Associates Task Manager (McTaskManager) - Network Associates, Inc. -

O23 - Service: Ulead Burning Helper (UleadBurningHelper) - Ulead Systems, Inc. - C:\Program

Files\Common Files\Ulead Systems\DVD\ULCDRSvr.exe

Advertisements

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
You can fix them but they are harmless entries.

BosqueBoy

BosqueBoy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
One of the goals I had in mind was to reduce the bootup time. Having made the changes above, the time has reduced somewhat, but I wondered if these two entries were slowing things down any.

If not, I guess that about finishes my problems and I can go back into a defensive mode. I still don't know how I managed to get SpySheriff. All I know is that isn't the easiest thing to get rid of.

Thanks again, Tampabelle, for all your help. :tazz:

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
In case you have any remanents of Spy Sheriff, let me know I know a good solution for it.

BosqueBoy

BosqueBoy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for the tip about SpySheriff. I hope I never have to take you up on it, but it is nice to know that there is someone who can help in case I get reinfected.

My HiJack This log continues to be free of unwanted entries, so I think we can mark this case "Closed."

Thanks again, Tampabelle!

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Hi,

I would recommend the following steps to keep your PC clean (especially Step 8 now that your PC is clean) –

PREVENTIVE MEASURES FOR FUTURE

Operating System
1. Keep the Windows and Internet Explorer updated with the latest fixes. These fixes are available free from Microsoft. Click on Tools in the IE menu bar and then on Windows update. You can also use the following links

Windows security and critical updates
Internet Explorer security and critical updates

Also ensure that automatic updates are enabled for faster updation of the system.
(Right click on My Computer on your desktop, properties and Automatic Updates tab.

Anti-Virus Software
2. Keep your Anti-virus program updated with the latest definitions. Some of the common anti-virus programs in use are :

Norton Anti-Virus
McAfee Anti-Virus
AVG Anti-Virus --- freeware
Avast Home Edition --- freeware

Use only one anti-virus program as multiple such programs can create conflicts between themselves and severely hamper the performance of your PC.

Firewall
3. You should also have a good firewall. Here are 3 free ones available for personal use:
Sygate Personal Firewall, Kerio Personal Firewall, ZoneAlarm

Internet Browsers
4. Have robust explorer settings. It is preferable to use an internet browser other that IE as most of the malware is targetted at IE. In case you prefer to use IE, then download a list of innocent looking but harmful websites from IE-Spyad and install it on ur PC. IE-SPYAD puts over 5000 sites in your internet explorer's restricted zone, so you'll be protected when you visit innocent-looking sites that aren't really innocent at all.

Some alternate browsers I suggest are Firefox Mozilla Browser and Opera

Ensure that Security level, irrespective of whichever browser you use, is set at Medium or higher, restrict the usage of cookies and activeX components.

Spyware Protection
5. Have a wall of protection against spyware / adware by installing SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard.

SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard are by JavaCool and both are free programs.
SpywareBlaster will prevent spyware from being installed and consumes no system resources.
SpywareGuard offers realtime protection from spyware installation and browser hijack attempts. Both have free ongoing updates.

Spyware Removers
6. Install programs for scanning for malware and uninstalling them. Two of the best programs, both are freeware, are :

Spybot Search & Destroy - A powerful tool which can search and annhilate nasties that make it onto your system. Now with an Immunize section that will help prevent future infections.

AdAware SE Personal Edition - Another very powerful tool which searches and kills nasties that infect your system. AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy compliment each other very well.

Regular Maintenance of PC
7. Finally, invest some time for regular maintenance of your PC. Delete the temporary Internet files, temporary files, cookies etc. Click on Start button, Programs, Accessories, System Tools and run the program Disk Cleanup. Follow the instructions.

An alternate freeware software which can be used is CleanUp.

Keep your Registry clean. My favourite software is Registry First Aid. This is not a freeware but a trial version can be downloaded.

System Restore Points
8. Since your PC is currently clean, create a system restore point. A system restore would enable you to revert to the settings on the PC when the restore point was created. It is also a good idea to flush all earlier system restore points which may be containing infected files.

A. Turn off System Restore.
On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

B. Restart your computer.

C. Turn ON System Restore.
On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
UN-Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

System Restore will now be active again.

Go ahead and enjoy a clean PC !!!!!!!!!!!!!