Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Java problems

• Please log in to reply

EmilyBean

EmilyBean

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I have been having problems with java. I needed to update it, so I tried uninstalling my old platform (this is J2SE runtime environment 5.0 update 4) however, my computer crashed during the uninstall (I was doing this through add/remove programs btw). now, whenever I try to uninstall again (it is still listed in add/remove programs, although the java settings in the control panel have disappeared) I get a fatal error. When I try reinstalling, it says the most current version is already installed.
I would like to know if there is a way to uninstall manually or something. this is really frustrating because my school email is in a java window (dumb).
I emailed the java people and they sent me some stock email saying, "have you tried uninstalling?" UGH. I replied to it and it's been a week since that.
anyone who knows how to fix this will be my new personal saviour.

Advertisements

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
take a look at uninstalling java

EmilyBean

EmilyBean

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
will this uninstall it or just remove it from add/remove programs? because I think it's still installed.
also,
"You can find registry keys for older versions of the JRE through a search for key values. The registry key will have a Value Name - DisplayName that has Value Data"
step 4 on that page, I don't understand this. Am I searching? And for what? everytime I try to search, it searches the whole registry, not the folder it's specifying, and I'm guessing I want one of the folders under uninstall that has the random numbers (but which one and how do I find it?)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try disc clean up, click view files for downloaded programme files then remove class control for Java Runtime, re-install Java

http://www.filehippo...va_runtime.html

EmilyBean

EmilyBean

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I did this but java did not come up in that list.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then search, then type runtime, you should get java runtime 11,361kb, remove this

EmilyBean

EmilyBean

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I did this but did not find that file.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you include hidden and system files with advanced options

EmilyBean

EmilyBean

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
ahh.. nope. so I found that file and deleted it. can I reinstall now?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Should be able to, run disc clean up first

Advertisements

EmilyBean

EmilyBean

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I did disk cleanup again but java doesn't show up. also, it still appears in add/remove programs and when I try to remove it I get the same error.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Reboot to see if it goes from add / remove

If not, get Tune Up Trial here

http://www.tune-up.com

Run disc clean up, then registry clean up, click optimize and improve, run reg defrag, which needs a reboot

Download Java and try to install

EmilyBean

EmilyBean

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
did all of this. no difference.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I have posted this for all the Trusted Techs to look at

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
This may be worth doing. Go to windows search and search, search for files or folders, for all incidents of the word java. See what comes up. I gather you removed java using add/remove programs, then tried to re-install and it says you already have the current version installed, and you go to add/remove programs and see it still listed there, but when you try to remove it again, you get an error. Truely baffling. You did the registry fix and still have the same problem. Using windows search with the single word java should be pretty thorough, like doing a wild card search in all directories.

You should be able to clean it up by deleting what you find. You should be cautious. The .dll files should probably not be deleted.

This is really weird. I have removed and reinstalled java and never ran into this before....