Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My pc has died help

• Please log in to reply

coolsteel

coolsteel

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Blue screen came up and the error is
Stop 0x000000ED or UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME, tried to reboot from a black screen with various start-up choices but all always go back to the blue screen.
i know nothing of how pc's work at all so should i take it to a fix it man? I really dont want to lose everything, tried hitting f8 when i turn pc on but it takes me to a screen with four options, floppy drive, cd drive, cd writer drive, and ide all tried and all end up back to the blue screen.
Can anyone help?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi coolsteel...Welcome to G2G!

Do you have your Windows XP cd or is this an OEM version with the cd on a partition of the hard drive?

wannabe1

Matt @1230

Matt @1230

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
hi try this. Start your computer with the Windows startup disks, or with the Windows CD-ROM if your computer can start from the CD-ROM drive.
2. When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press R to select the repair option.
3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the Windows installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
4. Type the administrator password when you are prompted to do so.

NOTE: If no administrator password exists, press ENTER.
5. At the command prompt, on the drive where Windows is installed, type chkdsk /r, and then press ENTER.
6. At the command prompt, type exit, and then press ENTER to restart your computer

Edited by Matt @1230, 18 August 2005 - 12:12 PM.

coolsteel

coolsteel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Thanks guys, my nephew has the disk, he installed it, its xp pro, as im at work at the mo i will get him to try your suggestion matt as i am clueless, but saying that your instructions seem ok to follow.

Thanks for your time i will keep you both informed.

Coolsteel :tazz:

coolsteel

coolsteel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Well Matt i cant thank you enough followed your instructions to the letter and hey presto a great result, computer found a fault and fixed itself. My theory is it could have been Norton AV as a little cross had started to appear over the icon in the taskbar at the bottom of the screen, this cross indicated that auto protect was off but when i opened up the program it was saying Auto Protect was enabled, so an obvious fault there i think.
Bye Bye Norton hello McAfee :ph34r:
Anyway Matt thanks for your time and keeping my stress levels down :) your a star. :tazz: :) :)

Coolsteel :ph34r: