Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't get sound, and generally messed up

• Please log in to reply

rch427

rch427

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hey folks -- About a week ago, my computer was hit hard by a virus. After cleaning it out, I downloaded a registry checker which recommended I delete a bunch of suspicious or bad keys. I did so, but after that, the computer wouldn't boot up again. It wouldn't boot up in Safe Mode, nor get to Last Good Config, nor did the System Recovery work. It was well and truly screwed up. Fifteen hours of pulling my hair out, one service call from a tech, and $60 later, my computer is running again; sort of. I ended up doing a System Restore, just to be able to get into it.

It's an HP Pavilion with P4, and its original OS was WinXP Home Edition, but since I bought it used on eBay, I didn't get the installation disk with it. Consequently, I had to install Win2000 Pro off the disk for my other computer. The computer now recognizes some of its drivers, but not all. It was a heck of a time to get the video drivers installed, but I still can't get any sound at all out of the speakers.

I did the obvious stuff, like opening the Sounds and Multimedia Properties in Control Panel, but none of the default sounds are accessible, and the volume slider won't move. In Device Manager, it says that all of the Sound Controllers (audio codecs, etc.) are "working properly", but under the Multimedia Audio Controller tab it says there are no drivers installed for it. And yes--I've tested the speakers (they're fine) and they're definitely plugged in correctly.

According to Everest (that free utility that scans your system and tells you what hardware you've got), my PCI/PnP audio adapter is an Intel 82801EB ICH5 AC'97 Audio Controller. Under the category of Windows Audio, there's nothing listed. I tried downloading and installing the adapters from Intel, but can't figure out their installation procedure (something about adding a "-d" to the end of each file!?).

Am I missing something obvious here? Should it be this difficult to get sound to work with such a recent machine? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

katkat92

katkat92

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
I'd remove all the sound drivers and reinstall using the correct drivers. This sounds like just a driver issue to me.

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Yes sometimes it is difficult to get Win2K to recognize all hardware but persistence usually pays off.

Have you installed all updates for Win2K(SP4...etc) and did you see any drivers listed during the updates that could be added manually?

If not...Get all the updates and drivers that windows has to offer for Win2K and see if that will clear your delimma up.

Trying to help......