Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

computer wont start up..

• Please log in to reply

saintfailure

saintfailure

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a wireless network adapter on my usb port and before i went to shut down my computer, i got a message on my taskbar that said, Electrical Surge on Hub Port (seen here).

the thing is, my daughter turned off my computer before i could do anything, and i couldn't do what it said.

now, when i turn on my computer, all i see is the start up screen (it doesnt even go to windows! >_>) and then i hear prolonged beeping. i tried to wait it out, and see if it would start on its own. it wont work. my usb port wont work either.

could something as easily as a wireless network adapter take up so much energy? -.- i appreciate your support.

Advertisements

katkat92

katkat92

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Can you unplug the usb adapter and log on to your system ok?

saintfailure

saintfailure

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i cant do anything.. my computer wont let anything i connect (my keyboard, mouse, anything) work.. could it just be my power supply in my computer that's gone out?

edit: but my monitor works >_>

Edited by saintfailure, 18 August 2005 - 04:00 PM.

katkat92

katkat92

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Make sure the only things plugged into your computer are the keyboard and mouse, then try and start the system. (unplug all peripherals like the hub, printer, etc...)

Have you tried going to safe mode? You say you get the start-up screen, what happens if you try entering safe mode?

Was there a burning smell or loud pop when you had the electrical surge? Does the fan turn on your power supply? If yes, I wouldn't say it's a power supply problem off-hand.

katkat92

katkat92

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
As an afterthought, you mentioned beep codes. How many beeps do you hear? Try and count the beeps. Repeated long beeps sometimes indicate a memory error. Do you know what motherboard you have?

saintfailure

saintfailure

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i tried just the keyboard and the mouse, and still the same. i can't even get to safe mode because it wont even detect my keyboard or mouse, or anything i plug in. the beeps wont stop so i can't count them. :\

katkat92

katkat92

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Is your keyboard and mouse USB or PS2?

So you turn on the computer, and it just beeps. What do you see on your screen? Are you able to start-up with a boot disk? Try unplugging anything that is USB and use a boot disk to see if you can start-up. Make sure the network adapter is unplugged.

When you try to start the computer and it beeps continuously and nothing appears on the screen, some or all of your RAM may be bad. This is the most common cause for this type of problem.

Pull your RAM out and reseat it back in the slots. Attempt to start up the computer a few times, if it starts up EVERY time you start the computer then you may be alright. If this doesn't help then if at all possible replace the RAM inside of the computer with other RAM you have around (make sure it is the right type of RAM that will work in your system first). Once the RAM is replaced, attempt to start up the computer a few times, if it starts up EVERY time you start the computer then you have more than likely found the problem. Now all you need to do is buy new RAM (making sure it is of the right type for your computer).

I've never seen this happen from what you have described, but in my experience if the computer is just beeping at you then RAM is the usual suspect. It's possible a power surge would burn out your memory....just an idea. :tazz:

saintfailure

saintfailure

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
aw poo none of my computers have a ram that i can put in my computer -.- my keyboard and mouse are both ps2 all i see is the manufacterer of the computer on my screen i cant believe there are no boot disks in my house! :tazz:

i think my ram may be the issue :)

saintfailure

saintfailure

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
:tazz: i found out the problem.. a friend of mine checked it out, and it turns out to be the motherboard, since the motherboard is integrated, and none of the ports are working on there. thank you very much for your help katkat, you dont know how much time you've saved. :)

katkat92

katkat92

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
I tried. :tazz:

Just FYI, I've had integrated USB ports not working on a motherboard, turned out it wasn't the MoBo at all, just system problems and a reload of the OS solved the port problems.

Don't know if it will help you, since you said your friend tested your board. If the board doesn't work, try newegg.com for some good prices on new boards.