Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help&Support and System Restore Don't Work

• Please log in to reply

SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Clicking on Start/Help&Support results in an error message "missing marscore.dll." Control Panel/System/System Restore is also unavailable but there is no error message.

I started by downloading marscore.dll from www.DLL-files.com and per their instructions for Windows XP installed it to C:\Windows\System32. It is now back with its little friends. Nevertheless, The same error message results when clicking Help&Support.

Next, a websearch located several computer forum dialogues on the identical problem. The advice included running SFC/ scannow which I did to no discerable effect and to go to C:\Windows\inf and right click "install" for pchealth.inf. Like others, doing this resulted in another error message: The file "dataspec.xml" of Windows Home Edition SP2 CD is needed.

Thats where things dead-end since, as in my case, the forum participants have systems that were factory preloaded and their warranties expired.

I was resigned to living with the bad news until I replace this computer. But on the "nothing to lose" theory I downloaded a freeware named PCInspector, a file recovery program. It immediately located dataspec.xml as a deleted but intact file and enabled me to save it to a floppy disk. Running the floppy clearly displays the file.

Finally, here's my question. Can I get dataspec.xml from Drive A to where it belongs, and if so, is that in pchealth.inf or some other path? This is pretty deep water for me and some expert advice would be appreciated.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi SoCalGuy...

Have you tried this?

Click "Start"...Choose "Run" and type "chkdsk /f" without the quotes (note the space between chkdsk and /f)and click "Ok"...Press "Y" to have chkdsk run on next restart, and reboot.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 18 August 2005 - 04:37 PM.

SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks, Wannabe, but no luck with checkdisk. I have since attempted a script fix proposed by another forum. that didn't work either. Its looking more and more like the only solution is running the emachines proprietary restore cd which means a lot of backup work since there appears to be no repair option, just a full reinstall. Now I know the meaning of the term "dll H---"

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Wait dont format, follow the steps below:
Start -> Run.
Type: regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
Press <enter>

Repeat the above procedure for:
regsvr32 script.dll and regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll.

Edited by darth_ash, 22 August 2005 - 02:54 PM.

SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
darth ash, appreciate your looking at this problem. Actxprxy.dll and Mshtml.dll both loaded successfully. Notice says Dll Register Server...succeeded. But script.dll triggered and error notice, Load Library...failed. the specified module could not be found.

Two out of three is better than anything I've tried so far. Assuming there's no reasonable alternative fix, do you think it makes sense to reformat for lack of System Restore and Help&Support with all other systems running smoothly? Admittedly System Restore saved my bacon several times but during the last year or two its seldom been used.

Regards

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD and get a blue bar, when the bar goes reboot

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

But script.dll triggered and error notice, Load Library...failed

Start-> Run.
Type: regsvr32 script.dll.
Press <enter>

SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
darth ash, should have made it clear that I did Start/Run regsvr 32script.dll and got the error message: "LoadLibrary('script.dll")failed-the specified module could not be found"

Went to the Dll cache and found script.dll there but ineffective, I guess. As I said the the other 2 dlls you provided loaded successfuly.

SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
darth ash--just for the record there was no space between regsvr and 32 on Strart/Run.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
download and install the following

http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

If that fails, download the network install of sp2, and reinstall it

http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
gerryf--downloaded and installed the first file with no result. Question: The network version of SP2 claims not to be for individual computers. I am not on a network either home or office. Should I still install it even tho I have the Microsoft SP2 installation CD?

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Having exactly the same problem, did it get resolved? :whistling:

You have to be kidding...went to this URL...

"I started by downloading marscore.dll from www.DLL-files.com and per their instructions for Windows XP installed it to C:\Windows\System32. It is now back with its little friends. Nevertheless, The same error message results when clicking Help&Support."

That one file...that would be about $30 CnD... Yipes...there must be a free download somewhere...

Anyway, did this problem get resolved? Could you list the steps followed, please, that led to a successful resolution. Until then I cannot access my Help and Support function in XP... This is the first time it has happened in 3 yrs :blink:

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
:whistling: :) Still banging my head on this one. I'm a stubborn old cuss... :help:

Unloaded XP SP2 ...the marscore.dll error message no longer appears...but an error message pops up...

re: helpctr.exe

"The procedure entry point InternetGetSecurityInfoByURLW could not be located in the dynamic link library WINNET.dll"

Next step...search the net for this error message...will report back a.s.a.p.. :blink: :woot:

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
After a heck of a lot of reading, on this topic, in various fora, the conclusion is as follows:

1. REFORMAT YOUR HARD DRIVE :blink:

That's all folks :whistling:

Micro-shaft does not even acknowledge this as an issue...offers no links for to a remedy...and did not once assist after repeated pleas to their support gang.

If you have an OEM version, you may as well chuck it into the garbage as far as they are concerned :help: They want nothing to do with you.

...Al

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
I guess that I am talking to myself now. I noticed a few cricket chirps ... I get the message... :whistling: