Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DELL computers and RADEON cards

• Please log in to reply

tennisboy

tennisboy

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
i heard a rumor that radeon video cards are unable to work in dell computers, or even fit in the motherboard. Is this true? I ask this because I want to upgrade from the nvidia ge force fx 5500 to a Ati radeon x850.

Advertisements

katkat92

katkat92

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
I have never had a problem with replacing Dell video cards. Just make sure you purchase the correct card (pci or agp) for your board. :tazz:

tennisboy

tennisboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
did u replace it with a nvidia card or radeon card?

my dell dimension 4550 2.4 ghz has a 250 watt power supply, 768mb ram, windows home xp sp2

i play lots of FPS games such as counter-strike i need something that will give me at least 80+ fps. Money is not an issue, what is a good video card?

famosbrown

famosbrown

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Does you board have AGP or PCI-E? Most of the higher end cards recommend at least a power supply of 350 watts, and then you will have to increase the airflow and cooling inside of your case.

Famos

famosbrown

famosbrown

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Here are the recommended specs for the ATI Radeon x850 AGP....

300-Watt Power Supply or higher recommended
Intel Pentium 4 / AMD Athlon or higher CPU
One available AGP 8X slot
One power extension cable
128MB system memory
CD-ROM drive

tennisboy

tennisboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
how can i find out if its AGP or PCI-E? O man mines only 250 watts... is there a good card out there thats good for my computer?

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
Im not sure but try right-click on your desktop and properties then settings and then it should say what video card you currently HAVE!
Reagrds RockyIV

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Get cpu-z it will tell you what you have in your computer.

famosbrown

famosbrown

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Click START, type in Dxdiag, Click OK.
Click the "Display" tab and post whatever you see in the "Device" box area to this thread.

Famos

lionelhutz5

lionelhutz5

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Your power supply is okay. Dell computers have an average power supply of 250W. They are capable of peak 365. I had this problem too. I contacted Dell in an email, and they said as long as your video card is the only thing that needs that much power, the PSU will be fine. And I have proof! I have had my 300watt AGP video card in my Dell cpu for a month and no problems! Please PM me if you don't believe me and want to see a copy of the email from the Dell technician.

Jared

Advertisements

famosbrown

famosbrown

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
What about case cooling, did you have to install any additional fans or other cooling units?

I'm wondering if I can do an experiment by calling Sony and asking them the same question, so if my PSU or anything else fry, they will have to give me a new computer :) ...only want to experiement :tazz: .

tennisboy

tennisboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
wow lionel thats crazy i donno if i should take the risk =/

aite heres the stats of my video card

tennisboy

tennisboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
wow lionel thats crazy i donno if i should take the risk =/

aite heres the stats of my video card

Attached Files

tennisboy

tennisboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
heres my dxdiag

Attached Files

famosbrown

famosbrown

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I'm not sure what you want to do with your graphics card...would like to capture video, watch television on your computer, play HL2? It looks like you now have a on-board integrated Nvidia card, and seems like you have an AGP slot. Do you have an emachines? With your power supply, I would go with the ATI ALL-IN-WONDER Radeon 9600XT . If you upgrade your power supply, then I could recommend some other options.