Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

FAT32 Hard drive issue

• Please log in to reply

Daddy Shroom

Daddy Shroom

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey guys how are you. I know that everyone that posts on here initially has a problem, they fix it, then dissapear never to return.

Well, I have an issue, and I will return! :tazz:

Anyways, here is what is going on.

I had an old gateway system with windows 98 on it. It also had gateway goback....

My system crashed due to a software issue, and I can no longer access my system in anything but safe mode. I took out my master drive and hooked it up to my friends old/my new PC as a slave. At first, I didn't think that it recognized it because I put the jumpers in wrong. Checked in the system setup and BIOS, it is recognizing the hard drive just fine.

So it is recognizing it but I can't access it? I thought it was strange. When I go into 'My computer", the second drive isn't listed. So I right click the C: drive, go to properties, select hardware, and Voila! It's there! But wait.... I can't access it! :ph34r: AAARGGGGHHH!

I call a local computer store, and they say that the Goback program on the old drive wasn't allowing XP to access the drive. I say OK, so if I uninstall Goback from Safe mode it will be ok? They say yes. So I boot it up in safe mode, uninstall Goback, and reboot. When it reboots, it says that a file from Symantec that the system.ini is pointing to isn't there. Strange, because I uninstalled NAV. So I go back into the msconfig and disable all of my startup items. Reboot, same issue. So I boot it in safe mode to select what to boot and what not to, it freezes halfway through. So I boot it in safe mode yet again, but Goback is still there! :)

Ok. So here is the point that I am at now. I want to get the old stuff off my old drive. Pictures, programs that I no longer have the disks for, mp3's, my personal autobiography, and more! I wish that there was some way that I could use this as a slave directly so I could transfer all of the info to a larger Hard Drive, but at this point, all I want to do is get my important stuff.

Here is the hardware:
45 GIG With 98SE on it(Bad drive)
80 GIG set up as slave to the 45 GIG on 98SE
30 GIG, which is what I am on now, with XP Home addition.

How do I get the data off or how do I get this PC to recognize it as a slave?? :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Edited by Daddy Shroom, 18 August 2005 - 04:33 PM.

Advertisements

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Are all those drives on same computer?

If so then some suggestions.........

set 80 gig slave to 30 gig XP Home
set 45 gig to master on other IDE channel

Boot to 30 gig XP Home and see if 45 gig recognized...

If so transfer files wanted....

If not then try 45 gig as slave to 30 gig and 80 as master on other ide channel...

Food for thought........

EDIT:
The drive that is the C drive has to remain the C drive else won't boot....C drive contains all boot info.

Edited by yardguard, 18 August 2005 - 04:45 PM.

Daddy Shroom

Daddy Shroom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Only the 45 and the 30 have the full os' on them. The 30 has xp, works fine. The 80 is a slave to the 45, so it has some 98 on it, the 45 is 98, and it will not boot unless it is in safe mode. Can I boot it in safe mode and transfer all the stuff to the 80? Or will it not recognize the slave when it is in safe mode?

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
sure....drives will be recognized in safe mode..(I think)...worth a try