Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Domain Name Squatters

• Please log in to reply

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Anyone know of a way to fight or wrench free a domain name that has been sucked up by a squatter?? I have a couple in mind but both have been nabbed by squatters and they are wanting to "re-sell" the domain names for $199 and up! Thats ridiculous.

You would think a law would be put into effect to prevent this or at least curb it... it seems to be common practice. Getting a good domain name is nearly impossible anymore because of domain name squatters...

Any suggestions??

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
There are plenty of domains as long as you dont mind an odd prefix on the end getting a dot com is near impossible but .tks are great and the fact that people rarely type the adress out now(thank you google) means you can get alot of domains if you arent to picky.

thenotch

thenotch

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 668 posts

There are plenty of domains as long as you dont mind an odd prefix on the end getting a dot com is near impossible but .tks are great and the fact that people rarely type the adress out now(thank you google) means you can get alot of domains if you arent to picky.

View Post

Actually, it does matter.. dot coms are first in searchable indexed sites and getting some oddball extension makes your sitename/brand much harder to remember.

You can't just type in say mydomain and not have it search for a dot com. It won't search for a tks, us, biz, whatever, it searchs dot com. So if it is mydomain.biz unless you type in the .biz it is going to search for mydomain.com and stop there since the domain is already taken.

Again, it falls back to the principle that squatting on a domain name and then charging 80% or more for the rights to the name is highway robbery.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Suppose it depends on what kind of site you wan to run i suppose.

Guse

Guse

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Actually, it does matter.. dot coms are first in searchable indexed sites and getting some oddball extension makes your sitename/brand much harder to remember.

You can't just type in say mydomain and not have it search for a dot com. It won't search for a tks, us, biz, whatever, it searchs dot com.  So if it is mydomain.biz unless you type in the .biz it is going to search for mydomain.com and stop there since the domain is already taken.

Again, it falls back to the principle that squatting on a domain name and then charging 80% or more for the rights to the name is highway robbery.

View Post

But it's totally legal as far as I can tell. The only way to wrench the site free that I'm aware of is to pony up the dough.

This is the page for my last name. It's ridiculus.