Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Computer Troubles

• Please log in to reply

Eagle132

Eagle132

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hey,

Just recently bought my parts for a new computer and built it for the first time. When I turn it on everything seems to be working properly, but then I realized that the CPU fan, Video card fan, and the exhaust fan for the case werent on. I decided to try it anyway and attached it to the monitor, but no signal. With no signal Windows Xp install doesn't do anything either (of course).

Specs--

Memory: $132- CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory
Processor: $190- AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor
Video Card: $270- DIAMOND GX800XLPCIEWB Radeon X800XL 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card
Case: $104- Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000SWA Silver Computer Case With Side Panel Window
Hard Drive: $93- Maxtor DiamondMax 10 250GB 3.5" Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
Motherboard: $126- MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum ATX AMD Motherboard
Power Supply: $75- Antec SmartPower 2.0 SP-500 500W Power Supply
Optical Drive: $83- PLEXTOR Black SATA DVD Burner Model PX-712SA/SW-BL
Monitor: $215- acer Black 19" 16ms LCD Monitor

Anyone have any ideas as to what is wrong? I have everything connected correctly to my knowledge, but I could have done something wrong...

Edited by Eagle132, 19 August 2005 - 06:45 PM.

Advertisements

ea6b607

ea6b607

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
First, i would chk that all your connections are right then if possible i would change out your mobo and psu for a different ones see if that works. Im still somewhat new but from both experience and many others problems the psu can really cause some annoyances even though yours is pretty good i would still check that for a possible error

Edited by ea6b607, 18 August 2005 - 07:18 PM.

Eagle132

Eagle132

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I really was hoping not to have to take the whole thing apart to send in for replacements for a motherboard and/or CPU, because that would be a huge waste of time if it is actually someting else wrong. I just dont know where to look to see if a connection is wrong or anything.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If the cpu fan is on there is a chance you have fried it, is the cpu fan connected to the cpu fan socket on the motherboard, if that doesnt work stick it in the spare fan socket on the motherboard. Does the gfx card need some knid of extra power some do. Your system is scarily similar to mines.

Eagle132

Eagle132

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
ya i noticed that our systems are very similiar yesterday. the fan is connected to the cpu socket yes, but sadly there are no xtra fan sockets left. thermaltake tsunami dream case has 2 other fans that use the xtra fan sockets (though the exhaust isnt working for some reason anyway). What troubles me is that the intake fan is working fine, and it is connected to the motherboard's fan socket. If my motherboard is fried, I'm not sure how it could have happened, but is there any way i can test to see if it is? also i looked into the gfx card needing xtra power, but i i really dont thing it does. It says nothing about it in the manual and there is no port on it to give it more power.

Edited by Eagle132, 19 August 2005 - 06:47 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well it is possinle you didnt take sufficeint electrostatid discharge precautions and have zapped it. Swap the exhaust with the the cpu fan. You could always RMA the board, also does the kihts on the d plate o through the full sequence.

Eagle132

Eagle132

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok i got it working by, well im not really even sure what i did, just tightened everything for like the 3rd time and readjusted the heatsink and molexes. now, it goes thru checking stuff while im trying to install windows, it checks all my devices ok, then says "Starting Windows Install" and the screen goes black for a second, then blue again saying that there was a HD error of some type. Also says to try restarting, but that didn't work.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Hmmm, i would get the diagnostic software for that drive from the manufacturer.

Leurgy

Leurgy

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Maxtor has Powermax.

The PowerMax utility is designed to perform diagnostic read/write verifications on Maxtor and Quantum hard drives. These tests will determine hard drive integrity.

Download PowerMax 4.21 Bootable CD .ISO image file

Eagle132

Eagle132

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
It won't recognize the boot disc for some reason, i burnt the .iso and put in the disc, restarted, but it says "Disc Boot Failure, Insert System Disc".

Also, through CMOS the system does recognize the hard drive, but it is the IDE Fourth Master for some reason. Does it need to be the IDE Primary Master?

Edited by Eagle132, 20 August 2005 - 08:36 AM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
No that is the trick they use to make it easier for the bios and OS to recognse the drive it is simulated as a really fast IDE drive.

Eagle132

Eagle132

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
O ok, so since we have the same motherboard, which SATA port do you use for your hard drive? Just wondering, willing to try anything to make it work.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
sata 2. make sure you dont use the silicon raid i have it disabled to speed up my boot as well.

Eagle132

Eagle132

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ya, I had it on SATA 2 as well. It is such a strange error, im really not sure what is wrong.

This is everything it says...

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF7C7A524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)"

I have no clue what it means really.

Edited by Eagle132, 20 August 2005 - 11:25 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
http://support.micro...om/?kbid=122926 , google is great for that stuff.