Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Computer Troubles

• Please log in to reply

Eagle132

Eagle132

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Oddly enough, that's not the right error. Those are the right numbers for the STOP, but the error on microsoft.com is not the same one that I am having, and actually applies to Windows NT, not XP.

Advertisements

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
Are you sure that you have NEVER used that Windows Install Disc, cuz you get that error if you use a disc already used.

Eagle132

Eagle132

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Out of the box from Best Buy. Just bought it, opened box, put it in computer. It is definetly new.

Also, I am thinking that the reason it's not working is because I have no way to install drivers for my hard drive.
First of all, the HD didn't even come with a disk for installing drivers, though it says you have to on the website at www.maxtor.com. The only disc that I can use is the MaxBlast 4 boot cd, which is supposed to install the drivers. Burnt the .iso, but absolutely NOTHING happens when I restart with the disc in the optical drive. It goes to the motherboard screen, then a black screen showing devices, not recognizing or just not doing anything about the boot cd. I'm not sure if you need Windows already installed when you use the boot cd, but that is all I can think of.
Second of all, the website says that you can install the drivers by hitting F6 during the beginning of Windows install. It also talks about using a floppy in the instructions, not even mentioning what to do if you don't have a floppy drive because you have no use for it. I have tried just putting MaxBlast.exe on a cd and using it through the F6 option, but nothing happens, and as I said before the boot cd doesn't work.
So basically, I have no way to install any drivers onto the hard drive. Any suggestions?

Edited by Eagle132, 22 August 2005 - 06:50 PM.

Eagle132

Eagle132

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok I got the hard drive to format by installing an old floppy drive into the computer temporarily, then putting that and the windows cd in at the same time so that the floppy ran off DOS. Now though, yet ANOTHER problem occurs. After formatting the instructions that came up said "Remove floppy and restart computer to install windows". Now when I do that with disc in optical drive, it says "NTLDR is missing, press ctrl+alt+delete to restart". For some reason it wont load the disc, even though I have it to boot to a disc through BIOS. When will the issues end!?

Leurgy

Leurgy

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Microsoft KB, maybe this will help. There are a few links toward the bottom of the page also.

NTLDR is missing

Eagle132

Eagle132

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Yea, only problem is that I have tried all those solutions.
Thanks though

Edited by Eagle132, 23 August 2005 - 05:17 AM.

Eagle132

Eagle132

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I am now thinking that installing the drives that is said to be installed on maxtor.com screwed up the computer somehow. It will recognize floppies but only comes up with NTLDR Is Missing for cd roms now (when it recognized them before, the windows installer I mean). Is there any way I can erase MaxBlast from my hard drive?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Hang on are you making sure you are using the drivers that came with your mobo for the sata controllers, (HDDs dont need drivers themselves but the controllers do need drivers you should install all three drivers on the two floppy dik drives that came with your motherboard).