Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Motherboard help part 2

• Please log in to reply

Purgatory

Purgatory

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
I have a new motherboard, the place thats doing the work for me because I don't want to break it told me they might ahve to reformat my harddrives to get it to boot up. I was wonding if it is neccessary for them (or if it is recommended) to reformat the drives'drive to get it to work. I have a 160 with my OS on it, and another 120 that is just storage and am willing to reformat that one, and that one alone, so could I erformat and install my OS on the 120, and use my 160 as a slave drive so I can retain my old data. This is very important to me because it contains a lot of stuff I need for my work and such.

So my main question would have to be. When installing a new motherboard, should the drive with the OS be reformated? as to be able to boot up properly?

Thanks in advance!

P.S
I just don;t want to lose most of my work and such. and would like to find a resonable solution to my problem.

Advertisements

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
No...Not neccessary to format HDs for new MBs..But...The HD with the OS on it may not boot up due to hardware inconsistences........

You have 2 HDS...Have them format and reinstall Windows or whatever OS you prefer on the one you don't have the important data on and make that drive the master drive and the other one the slave drive...that way you can boot into system and transfer all needed files from slave drive then Reformat that drive and use it as a mass storage device for your data or whatever.

HTH

Edited by yardguard, 18 August 2005 - 07:12 PM.

Purgatory

Purgatory

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
One other thing, I was hoping to fix with this new hard drive is, the two hard drives didn't work to well with my current board.. not even sure if it was the board, but I had the 160 as the master and the 120 as the slave, and whenever I played music or did something on the 120 (slave) the computer would lag.. really bad. my CPU proccess would stick up around 75 to 99 %, the mouse would sketch around the screen and lag, music would skip and jump, the mouse jumped a lot hoping the new board would solve my problem with my two drives... if not,. I'm stumped. cause it would take me about 6 to 8 hours to transfer 10 or more gigs of data between them, really annoying and time consuming. I;ve posted about my drive problems before.. no one was able to help me...

If you have any more suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Not sure what the problem could be but I'll air my thoughts......

MB is a possibility as the IDE port may have been going bad.
Fragmentation is always a culprit ....
120 gig slower RPM drive?
Using a 40 pin IDE cable instead of 80 pin IDE cable.(Not sure but I think 80 pin is needed for Ultra DMA drives in order to use this feature..someone correct me if I'm wrong).
IDE cables not fully seated.
And of course the possibility that the drive itself could be flaky.......

Food for thought....

Purgatory

Purgatory

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Hmm, to be sure I'll just invest in a new harddrive sometime soon then. Or possibly buy a 3rd drive haha. Dell dimension 2400 series, with a new motherboard, nVidua GeForce FX5200, and three 100+ gig drives, sounds pretty nifty to me lol