Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

win 98 ~ NO Sound and cd tray won't open

• Please log in to reply

Sherrie

Sherrie

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
I have no clue what caused this. Everything was fine one day and then the sound stopped working. I can click on "start" and go into my programs and reach the volumn control. When I click on it ...it seems to make an attempt to open (the hourglass pops up on the screen letting me know it's working but then it disappears) but never actually opens. We use to have a volume icon on the bottom of my screen which I would use to control the sound. It is now gone as well.

I noticed recently that my cd tray will no longer open. I followed instructions found on-line to get the door open but now have discovered that my computer will no longer read disks. The door will longer open on it's own.

I apologize if this is the wrong forum or board for these types of problems. I would appreciate any help in the matter or recommendations on where I should go for help. Thank you

~Sherrie

Advertisements

Sherrie

Sherrie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I have my sound device working now. I went into device manager and discovered that it was disabled.

Now my delimia is with the cd tray not open and not reading cds/disk

~sherrie

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Is it the CD player that came with the machine or another one? What kind is it? Can you uninstall and reinstall it if it didn't come with youer operating system?

Sherrie

Sherrie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Thank you for your reply

It is the original cd player that came with the computer. It is a Compaq Presario. We purchased the computer second hand from our neighbors about 3 years ago. They did give us all the software but I don't have one that would be strictly for the cd player.. or do I and not know it ? <_<

~Sherrie

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
No, you wouldn't have software for it.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
I've never had this problem, and it's not my area of expertise, but have you ever tried pulling off the back of the computer and cleaning it out with the pressurized air that is made specifically for computers? A lot of dust builds up in there. One time my computer ran into a great deal of trouble and we pulled off the back and cleaned it out. I'm sure one of the other mods has a better fix than that,

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Does the CD drive appear in Device Manager? Any errors?

Sherrie

Sherrie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Thank you ~ Yes, the disk drives do appear in Device Manager and it states that they are working properly...no errors.

~Sherrie

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Do you have more than one CD burning program installed?

Sherrie

Sherrie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
This computer does not have disk burning capabilities. It is an older computer.

~Sherrie

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I think it's time to start shopping for a new CD drive. sad.gif

They have many moving parts, and are have extreme price presure. They are probably the computer component most prone to failure.