Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Troubleshooting Norton Ghost

• Please log in to reply

Janis

Janis

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
I purchased Norton 2003 after seeing a relative restore his pc painlessly. It seems to be installed correctly. I ran the backup to cd and then wanted to choose the verify to make sure the cd's would work if I needed them. However the program doesn't see any media in the cdrom. I thought there might be a problem with the cd's so I ran the program again to create image files. Still the program can not see any image files or any files for that matter in the cdrom. What am I doing wrong? :tazz:

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
what program? ghost?

how about just opening my computer and looking at the cd's? normally if I were wanting to verify a ghost image I would just use ghost explorer to open the image file.

Janis

Janis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
I tried that also. I get the error message that the drive is not ready. It is as if the cd's are invisible. I tried making another set, the program runs just fine or appears too. Yet the cd's are not visible to the program or the computer.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Try opening them on another computer to see if it is the CD's or the computer.
I had the same thing with Norton Ghost 9.0 (I have XP so I have to use this, If you have 98 you can't) It did not burn the DVD's so that they could be read. Not sure of fix though the my drive can write to both types of media so I think that is was software related. formating my computer becase of far more serious problems fix it, don't you do that.

Janis

Janis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
Thanks for the suggestions. The cd's aren't visible either in my computer or the ghost program on the neighbor's pc. Guess I'll give up on Nortons which I find doesn't have much client support. I do have the option of formatting and reinstalling everything if I have to do so. Ghost would have been easier.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
it could be because your using an older version that doesn't have proper support for your cd burner. really to many variables to narrow it down. It would be easier to make an image of the primary drive and store it on an auxillary drive.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
and then burn that just in case you hard drive goes.

Also check if any thing else when burned dose the same thing.