Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD-RW drive not recognized

• Please log in to reply

crm1975

crm1975

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I just got a new DELL Dimension 4600 running XP and it has a DVD/RW and CD/RW drive on it. The DVD works fine but I can't get the CD/RW drive to be recognized. It opens and closes but when I go into Windows Explorer it is not listed.

It originally came with the DVD drive as the Master and CD drive as the slave. I just switched them both to Cable Select and that didn't work either.

I went into "Drive Configuration" and here is how it is set

SATA PRIMARY OFF
SATA SECOND OFF
PRIMARY MASTER HARD DRIVE
PRIMARY SLAVE OFF
SECONDARY MASTER CD-ROM DEVICE
SECONDARY SLAVE OFF

I set the Secondary Salve to be AUTO but it says "Unknown Device" and then when I reboot it says DRIVE 1 not found.

Any help would be great. Thanks

Advertisements

WhatThe

WhatThe

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Might sound a bit obvious but have you checked the IDE cable and the power cable are both fully plugged in.

I saw a brand new HP DX6120 the other day with the Molex power cable not properly plugged in to the CD/RW, the drive would open and close but would not read any data.

I could see the drive in Windows and at POST however, still worth a check though.

I would try getting the CD/RW drive to work without the DVD plugged in and go from there.

crm1975

crm1975

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
We got it figured out. I plugged the master cable into the CD drive and left the other drive not plugged in. Once I did that it recognized the drive. I then plugged them both back in the way it came and it recognized them both. Thanks