Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Clock

• Please log in to reply

bluee

bluee

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Hey, my clock, in the bottom right of my screen is messed up. Time doesnt change in my BIOS, so if i set my BIOS time to 12:00, everytime i power up it will say 12 o'clock. Then when i do the automatic update it is right, but if i come back hours later, it is wrong by several hours, i think it might be wrong because it is automatically updating, but at the wrong site or something, so i turned automatically off. Is there any way to fix this? My CMOS battery is fine. Is there a clock that i can download, that goes in the same place as the current one, but doesnt change anything else? ive heard of like "Tclock, but could never find it.
thanks.

-Erik

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts
Have you tried replacing the battery? The time is kept on the motherboard. Software can only correct it an keep accurate.

bluee

bluee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
yes i have changed the battery, is there a program where it automatically updates the clock when powered up? I think it is insignificant, but there is a piece that came with my case that plugs into the mobo that i lost, http://www.newegg.co...-144-013-09.JPG
the thing in the middle of the power cable and the screws. Could this be a problem? thanks.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts
Time is kept on your motherboard much like it is on your quartz wristwatch. The battery supplies the power to retqin the CMOS memory, and power the clock. The time is simply diplayed on the BIOS screen, and on your system.

If the time is not being kept correctly, it either a defective motherboard, or less likely a BIOS virus.

bluee

bluee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Probably the mobo then, beacause i didnt know what i was doing when i purchased this mobo, it is a MSI k7n2-V.

bluee

bluee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
how can i check for a BIOS virus?