Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstall freezes

• Please log in to reply

missmelissa

missmelissa

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I'm having trouble reinstalling Windows XP Pro. I reformat and everything is fine, but as soon as it goes to copy the files, certian ones cause screen freezes. I've tried 2 Windows XP Pro cds and one older Windows XP Home cd, and they still freeze at random times. I did went to Western Digitals website and downloaded the diagnostic tools to check for errors, and that came up empty. I did wrote the drive to zeros. I tried the Windows cd agian, and it got to 59% of copying the files and got stuck on the modem.sys file. I tried all of the Windows cds in both of my cd-rom drives, and it still gets stuck. :tazz:

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
does it get stuck or can't copy file?
if it is stuck sounds like you may have a heat problem.
If it is can't copy file eject the cd put in the other cd and try to run on

missmelissa

missmelissa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
It gets stuck and I have to restart the computer. I turned it off over night and then tried it in the morning and it worked fine, so I guess it is a heat problem.

I don't see why its overheating now, nothing has been changed and both the fans are running the same as they have before. :tazz:

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
so have we got an install?
Also when you opened up the case did you check for dust in the fans.
BEWARE OF STATIC can blow plenty of things always earth yourself 1st

Edited by peterm, 20 August 2005 - 03:08 PM.

missmelissa

missmelissa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Yes we got an install but it wasn't the install I wanted. I was just frusterated and didn't do a clean install and just used the recovery disks.

I regularly check for dust on the fans, and I keep them dust free for the most part, sometimes I slack. I always ground myself.