Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Please Help w/ HD

• Please log in to reply

shalomii

shalomii

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a 250 gig Maxtor HD (using as external through an IDE to USB Cable) for all my media files. This isnt the first time that this same problem has occured. I used to have the HD connected through an external enclosure, but that piece of shyt broke (please note that the problem only occured after I switched from the enclosure to the cable) and didnt wanna buy another one, so I got this http://www.pcmicrost...0501935;c:36142 .
Now, the trouble is this the HD was working fine and then I restart my machine and the HD isnt showing in My Comp. So I open the Comp Manage. tool and see that it says the disk isnt initialzed and it say unallocated as well. To be honest ive got no f'ing clue as to what that means, but clearly its bad. I ended up having to get on another computer of mine connect it through there and having to format recover everything through EasyRecovery Pro. Then I formatted the drive and copied everything back, deleting the stuff off the comp itself. A few days later the same thing happened. Had to go through the whole process again. One hour of scanning the drive, five to copy to comp, and five more to copy back to the HD. This is a long f'ing process and I cannot go through this shyt again. Im quite sure its this godamned cable but im not sure yet as I havent tried to get another enclosure.
Please help. Many Thanks.

Edited by shalomii, 19 August 2005 - 03:59 AM.

Advertisements

shalomii

shalomii

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
anyone?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I'll be game! You may not be shutting it down right so it may be losing information that has to be written to disk during shutdown.

Edited by Tyger, 19 August 2005 - 03:29 PM.

WhatThe

WhatThe

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
In that case you could turn the hard drive off before shutting down?

and if that works you could create a script that turns off the USB devices and then waits a second or two and then shuts down the PC.

I guess