Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

winsockxpfix.exe

• Please log in to reply

pomarni

pomarni

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have an XP on a 32-byte whatever one one partition and a Windows 98 16-byte whatever on the second partition. Just going thru my drives I notice there is a "winsockxpfix.exe sitting on the Windows98 drive. I have checked the Net to know what it does. But I have two questions: (1) what put an XP internet recovery tool in my Win98 since this was not intentionally done by me and (2) what particular adware/spyware affects the internet access files? Thanks in advance.

Pom

Advertisements

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
1. If you didn't put it there then don't use it...delete it.
2. A lot (too many too mention) of different downloaded adware/spyware could potentially change your browser settings.

Winsockfix is a great proggie for getting browser settings back to normal but I don't believe I'd use one that I didn't download....Too easy now-a-days to get malicious proggies that bear the name of a legimate proggie.....

pomarni

pomarni

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks alot yardguard - and the speed of the reply! Many many thanks.
Pom

Edited by pomarni, 19 August 2005 - 04:27 AM.