Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Newtwork Connections Folder empty

• Please log in to reply

rhweiss

rhweiss

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I had been following your directions to remove a virus (win32alemod.e.dll) and have run into a problem. I had rebooted my pc after running Ad-Aware and now I can not get onto the internet (which I had been able to do). At first I tried all of the typical steps of turning off the DSL modem, etc (which usually works). Well it did not this time. I then went to Control Panel, Network Connections and the folder appears totally blank. If I try to set up a new broadband connection, I am told "Your broadband connection should already be configured and ready to use.

I really do not know where to go from here. I am using another computer to send this message. Hopefully someone can direct me. Thank you. Hilda
PS - I originally posted under Applications which I believe to be wrong. Am closing that since I think it belongs here (or at least I will try to close it). :tazz:

Edited by rhweiss, 19 August 2005 - 05:32 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
In network connections, does the network troubleshooter help

If you have all the installation discs for the modem, you could uninstall / reinstall it

rhweiss

rhweiss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Just tried to use network troubleshooter. Got to part where it says to open device manager, but when I open it, it also appears blank, totally blank.

Using a DSL modem supplied by phone company, there was no software to load.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD and get a blue bar, when the bar goes, reboot.

Contact your ISP and ask the for their modem set up / configuration address, eg 192.192.192.01, when you have this, it will get you to page where you can run set up

rhweiss

rhweiss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I will do as you suggested, apparently there are "unrecognizable" windows files, so I have installed my xp cd, it started doing it's thing. I will need to go to work in about 10 minutes, so will continue later doing as you suggested. Once it works (or not), how do I proceed since it will be later and I am sure you will be off to whatever? Thanks for your help.

Also, how do I "close" the message I posted in the wrong place, # 303523?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run sfc /scannow whenever, load the XP CD after you press enter so it knows why it's there

When it has run, you should have device manager etc

Try to get the set up address for the modem from your ISP

The 303523 post will get taken care of

rhweiss

rhweiss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Once I finished loading XP, I had my Network Connections and Device Manager back. I am assuming that this means I do not need to do the run command, is that true? Let me know the answer to that question and then I think you can go ahead and close this call. Thank you for your assistance. Hilda