Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton Internet Security is a pain in the butt.

• Please log in to reply

Nivlac5thAge

Nivlac5thAge

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am using a brand new IBM Intellistation Z-Pro workstation and have 8 GB of ram, 1.2 TB drive space. Running XP, SP2 with all up-to-date patches and installed Norton Internet Security.

Ok.
1. I just rebooted
2. I have NIS enabled
3. I dial up to the Intenet.
4. I get a connection (lame as it is...)
5. I open up the NIS program and get the current status. Everything looks kosher.
6. I click on the LIVEUPDATE tab and here's where the fun starts....

I sometimes get the liveupdate window to come up and sometimes I don't. When it does, everything is ok. When it does not come up no program I try to open after that will even come up. If I leave my machine sitting for about 10 minutes, if I am lucky, I might get some windows t pop up.

Otherwise, it's REBOOT time. I tell Windows to Shutdown...I sit and I wait, and wait...

I have plenty of RAM, so I don't see how it can be a RAM issue (which is what Symantec told me). Low resources my rear-end.

I just updated Norton a couple of days ago when I received an OUTBREAK ALERT from Norton. I thought, "hey, cool software. It actually is working!"

Q1: Is another program interfering with LIVEUPDATE? This happens almost daily. I try to update everyting first thing in the morning when I get into work so it's the same things in memory each time, right from a boot up.

This is really annoying and I need to figure out what is causing the problem. I can't kill any of Norton's resident memory programs and closing other programs (the ones I can figure out are safe to) doesn't alleviate the problem.

:tazz:
Calvin

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Re-install LiveUpdate

http://service1.syma...rc=eu_sg&csm=no