Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cpu usage High

• Please log in to reply

hypnotic

hypnotic

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey

Recently I have noticed my computer going very very slow. I have run ad-aware, spybot and pc-cillin and I have cleared everything, although this hasnt changed anything. I have recently defragmented my drive although I am sure this has not made it run slower :tazz: . When I go into the task manager it says my CPU usage is always 80 - 100% and I know this is defiently not normal as I am not running any programs at all!!! The problem is that the program symwsc.exe is always using around 66% of the computer usage. Does anyone know how to fix the problem? Thanks very much! Oh and by the way, if this in anyway helps, I am using Windows Xp :)

Edited by hypnotic, 19 August 2005 - 08:06 AM.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. The filename symwsc.exe is part of Norton Security. I did a google search on it, lots of hits. First page had several luring me to buy some product...no thanks. I went to Symantec.com and searched it. 5 hits. Are you using Norton (Symantec) products on your system? With CPU usage that high I suspect a trojan/virus/malware has hijacked this file. Two ways to go. Probably the easiest and most thorough would be for you to work throught the malware removal guide. See the link at the top of this forum where it says "Do you suspect a malware (Spyware, Virus, Trojan) infection? Please Start Here. " This enables folks to solve most problems on their own. If you still have trouble after that, post a hijack this log in the malware forum at http://www.geekstogo...o-Here-f37.html

The other way would be to go over to www.symantec.com, go to support, search for symwsc.exe and review the findings. Perhaps you have one of those 5 on your system causing this problem.

hypnotic

hypnotic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ive done what you said, and then got help from a guy called Excal. Although after telling me to do a couple of things which didnt help, I was sent back here. So is there anything else I can do? I dont even have norton on my computer. Here is teh topic: http://www.geekstogo...&st=0&p=306193

EDIT: I found a way to fix the problem. Thanks anyway.

Edited by hypnotic, 19 August 2005 - 11:51 PM.