Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Rundll32

• Please log in to reply

tattoolover420469

tattoolover420469

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Well, I guess you people are probably getting used to me being on here!!! Alright, this is what's happening. Everytime I do multiple tasks, Rundll32 comes up saying to close it. It comes up EVERY 10 seconds and it's really annoying. I also think that it's slowing my computer down. So once again, can someone please :tazz: !!

Advertisements

GoCompute

GoCompute

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Rundll32 can be two things:

--A application that controls your programs in a nutshell
--A virus, if you have both Rundll32 and Rundll in the Task Manager, you may have this virus. Run a good virus checker to remove this problem.

From Answers That Work:

Microsoft’s “Run a DLL as an App”. A DLL is a Dynamic Link Library. In layman and [very] simplistic terms a DLL is a portion of a software program which is only used by the main program as and when specific features of the software are used by the end user (for instance the PRINT function in your wordprocessor). The main advantage is that, using this technique, programmers can develop software which does not end up gobbling up memory through the whole program loading in one go, but which instead only uses enough memory for the core functions of the program, with specific features, implemented in separate DLL files, only loaded as and when the end-user decides to use them (ie. The Print DLL will only be loaded into memory when the end-user clicks on PRINT). Another advantage is that the software developers can also have common features which they have implemented across a range of their programs, implemented just the one time as a shared DLL which is used by all that developer’s programs. RUNDLL and RUNDLL32 are the Microsoft Windows programs that need to be used to load DLLs into memory so that they can be used by specific programs or by Windows.

Recommendation :
First, note that RUNDLL.EXE only exists in Windows 95/98/ME, it does not exist in Windows 2000/XP/2003 – its path is C:\Windows\Rundll.exe as shown on the Tasks tab of The Ultimate Troubleshooter; anything else and you have a virus (see below). RUNDLL and RUNDLL32 do not normally appear in the Task List in Windows. In our experience they tend to appear only when you are already having problems of some sort with your PC, or a particular DLL is either misbehaving, is buggy, or is having problems, such as a Control Panel applet hanging for example. If you see RUNDLL or RUNDLL32 in your Task List persistently then you should be [slightly] worried (see below the other entry for RUNDLL32) – make sure you have good and up‑to‑date antivirus software, boot into Safe Mode, and run a full virus scan on your PC. If you do not have a virus and see either in your Task List, simply leave it alone. We are not sure as to the other times when the real RUNDLL or RUNDLL32 can sometimes suddenly appear in the Task List, but you should leave them alone in most cases provided, again, that you know you do not have a virus.

For more info check out http://www.answersth.../tasklist_r.htm

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
What kind of multiple tasks are you running? Win98 and ME aren't as good at multitasking as XP or 2000.

The rundll files load libraries (.dll) into memory so that running programs can use them. You may have a conflict between different programs memory usage.

BTW if you really want to see what is running on your computer go to Start>Programs>Accessories>System tools>System information and look at runnings tasks and modules loaded.

Edited by Tyger, 19 August 2005 - 03:06 PM.

WhatThe

WhatThe

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
I reckon Tyger is probably correct

What tasks (programs) cause the problem when you run them at the same time?