Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

You Guys are Geniuses - Please Help!

• Please log in to reply

DaveBenjamin

DaveBenjamin

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hey guys, I have a pretty basic problem but its bugging me and I cant seem to fix it. Basically, my CD Drive is unresponsive. I put a CD in, and nothing happens. Bah. I feel like an idiot.

Nothing comes up in the D: drive display on my computer, and i cant even hear it reading the disc. I dont know what the problem is. A day ago I put a blank CDR in to burn, and the process got interupted or something while I was doing it. Im assuming that caused this, becuase it hasnt worked yet.

Any help would really be appreciated! Thanks in advance

Dave

Advertisements

Scooped

Scooped

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
Ehh is the cd 'jammed' in it? If so, you'll need to take apart the CDROM and remove it (I had the same problem once.)

Also, you may want to try updating your bios.

MajorFatCat

MajorFatCat

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
be a bit more specific. does it read your cd? does it make a sound when inserting the cd? try cleaning your lense with a laser lense cleaner.

DaveBenjamin

DaveBenjamin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for the quick reply. Fortunately, I was able to get the CD out a few days ago when it happened. The problem started right afterward, when the drive was empty

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello DaveBenjamin...Welcome to G2G!

I am assuming that this drive was working properly before the "interuption" while burning the CDR the other day. Have you tried reinstalling the drivers for that drive?

Right click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties"...Click on the "Hardware" tab and then click the "Device Manager" button. Click the "+" symbol next to "DVD/CD-ROM drives". Is your drive listed here? If yes, Right Click on the drive and choose "Update Driver...". This will start the Hardware Update Wizard...let it search for and install the drivers automatically...when finished, restart you machine and see if your problem is resolved. If not, post back and we'll look at some other options.

wannabe1

DaveBenjamin

DaveBenjamin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Wannabe,
I tried what you said and it told me it couldnt find a better version to upgrade and that it was okay as is? What else should I try

(thanks again)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
DaveBenjamin...

Ok...twenty questions time.

Does the drive drawer open and close using the buttons on the drive?
Does the light come on and flash briefly when you start your computer?
Do you have any idea what may have caused your "interuption" ie: power surge or fluctuation, new software installation, etc?
How old is this drive?
What is the drive make and model? (listed in the device manager)

wannabe1

DaveBenjamin

DaveBenjamin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

DaveBenjamin...

Ok...twenty questions time.

Does the drive drawer open and close using the buttons on the drive?
Does the light come on and flash briefly when you start your computer?
Do you have any idea what may have caused your "interuption" ie: power surge or fluctuation, new software installation, etc?
How old is this drive?
What is the drive make and model? (listed in the device manager)

wannabe1

View Post

1) Yeah, the driver opens and closes normally
2) The orange light on it flashes when reading a disc, so I guess its doing something?
3) Everything was running smoothly when this happened, I dont know what the deal was. I was burning a cd in itunes then it abruptly stopped, ejected the disc and said something about an error.
4) The drive came with my computer, its a dell about 2-3 years old.
5) HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8160B

Hope that helps?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
DaveBenjamin...

A quick search on Google shows that you are certainly not alone in having this problem with this model drive.

Let's go back to the Device Manager...Right Click on the drive...Choose "Uninstall" and Click "Ok". Restart your computer. Your machine should detect "new hardware" upon reboot and reinstall it automatically. Let me know how it goes.

wannabe1

DaveBenjamin

DaveBenjamin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok cool, Ill be right back I'm gonna restart, I just uninstalled the drive

Advertisements

DaveBenjamin

DaveBenjamin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hmm..I uninstalled it but upon rebooting it didnt recognize new hardware or ask me to do anything. It just acted normally

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
DaveBenjamin..

Is it listed in Device Manager?

wannabe1

DaveBenjamin

DaveBenjamin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Weird, yeah..it is.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Does it work?????

DaveBenjamin

DaveBenjamin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
yes! woot woot wannabe1 you are the man! It actually recognized the blank CD I put in. Wow, this rules.

Thanks a ton bro