Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Trying to remove Bridge.inf...now lost IE [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Scottiemom

Scottiemom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Oh sorry I forgot I DID delete the stuff in Quarantine....computer didn't crash (haha)....and did reboot...

Advertisements

ukbiker

ukbiker

Rest in Peace, ukbiker

• Retired Staff
  • 2,014 posts
Hi there again :tazz:
  • Please go to Jotti's malware scan
  • Copy and paste the following file path into the "File to upload & scan"box on the top of the page:
    • C:\WINNT\Downloaded Program Files\bridge.inf
  • Click on the submit button
  • Please post the results in your next reply.
Lets see what Jotti says

UKBiker

Scottiemom

Scottiemom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Here's results:
: bridge.inf
Status: POSSIBLY INFECTED/MALWARE (Note: this file was only classified as malware by scanners known to generate more false positives than the average scanner. Do not consider these results definately accurate. Also, because of this, results of this scan will not be recorded in the database.)
MD5 2abec692e11e8a73a82cb30ebf3ae5d3
Packers detected: -
Scanner results
AntiVir Found nothing
ArcaVir Found nothing
Avast Found nothing
AVG Antivirus Found nothing
BitDefender Found nothing
ClamAV Found Trojan.Briss-1
Dr.Web Found nothing
F-Prot Antivirus Found nothing
Fortinet Found nothing
Kaspersky Anti-Virus Found nothing
NOD32 Found nothing
Norman Virus Control Found nothing
UNA Found nothing
VBA32 Found nothing

Powered by

Disclaimer
This service is by no means 100% safe. If this scanner says 'OK', it does not necessarily mean the file is clean. There could be a whole new virus on the loose. NEVER EVER rely on one single product only, not even this service, even though it utilizes several products. Therefore, I cannot and will not be held responsible for any damage caused by results presented by this non-profit online service.

Also, I am aware of the implications of a setup like this. I am sure this whole thing is by no means scientifically correct, since this is a fully automated service (although manual correction is possible). I am aware, in spite of efforts to proactively counter these, false positives might occur, for example. I do not consider this a very big issue, so please do not e-mail me about it. This is a simple online scan service, not the university of Wichita.

Scanning can take a while, since several scanners are being used, plus the fact some scanners use very high levels of (time consuming) heuristics. Scanners used are Linux versions, differences with Windows scanners may or may not occur. Another note: some scanners will only report one virus when scanning archives with multiple pieces of malware.

Virus definitions are updated every hour. There is a 15Mb limit per file. Please refrain from uploading tons of hex-edited or repacked variants of the same sample.

Please do not ask for viruses uploaded here, unless you work for an anti-virus vendor. They are not for trade. This is a legitimate service, not a VX site. Viruses uploaded here will be distributed to antivirus vendors without exception.

Sponsored by donations (in random order) from: Stormbyte Technologies LLC, The ClamAV project, James Love, Gideon Pertzov, Malcolm Murray, Nigel Thomas, Wendy Dickerson, Anthony Midmore, "ethereal", Mark Rubins, Steve S., Eric Johansen, Eric Schechter, Paul Bokel, Wilders Security, Wilfried Lilie, Prevx, SonicWALL, and some people who prefer to remain anonymous... many thanks to all!

Statistics
Last file scanned at least one scanner reported something about: download_plugin.exe, detected by:

Scanner Malware name
AntiVir X
ArcaVir X
Avast X
AVG Antivirus X
BitDefender X
ClamAV X
Dr.Web Trojan.DownLoader.2568
F-Prot Antivirus X
Fortinet W32/Dowins-tr
Kaspersky Anti-Virus Trojan-Downloader.Win32.INService.gen
NOD32 a variant of Win32/TrojanDownloader.INService
Norman Virus Control X
UNA X
VBA32 MalwareScope.INService.1

You're free to (mis)interpret these automated, flawed statistics at your own discretion. For antivirus comparisons, visit AV comparatives

ukbiker

ukbiker

Rest in Peace, ukbiker

• Retired Staff
  • 2,014 posts
Hi scottiemom

thanks for running that scan :)

Given that only Clam flagged anything, while Nod and Kav passed it OK, I think it is a false positive from your AV and panda. ie, you are OK! :ph34r:

Regarding your rogue applications, its entirely up to you as to whether to uninstall them, personally however, I would get rid.

Now to the bit that I enjoy :tazz:

=====================================================

Congratulations , your log is clean :) :) :ph34r:

Just a general clean up now and we are done

Now you have to clean out your temporary files and flush your restore points:
  • Start | Run | type cleanmgr | OK
  • Let it scan your system for files to remove.
  • Make sure Temporary Files, Temporary Internet Files, and Recycle Bin are the only things checked.
  • Click "OK" to remove them.
  • Click "Yes" to confirm the deletion.
Flush System Restore.

To reset your restore points, please note that you will need to log into your computer with an account which has full administrator access. You will know if the account has administrator access because you will be able to see the System Restore tab. If the tab is missing, you are logged in under a limited account.

(Windows XP)
1. Turn off System Restore.
On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

2. Reboot.

3. Turn ON System Restore.
On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
UN-Check *Turn off System Restore*.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

4. Finally Defragment your hard Drive.

So now that your PC is clean, how do you keep it that way?

The single most important measure is this. Keep your copy of XP fully up to date after that,

Here are some tips, to reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future, I strongly recommend installing the following applications:

Detect and Remove Programs:
  • How to use Ad-Aware to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Ad-Aware.
  • How to use Spybot to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Spybot. Similar to Ad-Aware, I strongly recommend both to catch most spyware.
Prevention Programs:
  • Spywareblaster <= SpywareBlaster will prevent spyware from being installed.
  • Spywareguard <= SpywareGuard offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts.
  • IE/Spyad <= IE/Spyad places over 4000 websites and domains in the IE Restricted list which will severely impair attempts to infect your system. It basically prevents any downloads (Cookies etc) from the sites listed, although you will still be able to connect to the sites.
  • MVPS Hosts file <= The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your coputer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer
  • Google Toolbar <= Get the free google toolbar to help stop pop up windows.
Other necessary Programs:
  • AntiVirus Program<= An AntiVirus program is a must! Whether it is a free version like AVG or Anti-Vir, or a shareware version like Norton or Kapersky, this is a must have.
  • Firewall<= A firewall is definatley a must have. Two good free versions are Sygate and ZoneLabs.
  • More Secure Browser<= Internet Explorer is not the most secure and best browser. There are safer alternatives available. ConsiderFirefox, however Opera and SlimBrowsers are good as well.
And also see TonyKlein's good advice
Spyware Aid's spyware article: [color=blue]Spyware, Adware, Malware: What it is, how it got on my computer, how to get rid of it, and how to prevent it.

Glad to have been of help

UKBiker

Scottiemom

Scottiemom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Thank you so very much for helping me. :tazz:
And where is that "donation" link to you guys?
Have a great evening.
Scottiemom

ukbiker

ukbiker

Rest in Peace, ukbiker

• Retired Staff
  • 2,014 posts
Hi Scottiemom :)

Personally I dont accept donations from clients although the Site itself has a link for those who wish to support it

http://www.geekstogo...-Site-t132.html.

Feedback from clients is always welcome though as it helps us to identify where we can improve our service and also shows us what aspects are working well already.

Glad we got you fixed up! :tazz:

UKBiker

Scottiemom

Scottiemom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I will def. be making donation to site .... it is nice to know good people are out there helping people like me with our computer problems just b/c they care...
I think the site is great and hopefully I won't have to return again tooooo soon.
Thanks again.
Scottiemom

ukbiker

ukbiker

Rest in Peace, ukbiker

• Retired Staff
  • 2,014 posts
Any problems, you know where to come :tazz:

UKBiker

ukbiker

ukbiker

Rest in Peace, ukbiker

• Retired Staff
  • 2,014 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.