Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IRQ 's

• Please log in to reply

marellis

marellis

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Installing a modem to the com port 1. HP support has told me windows will only install it to com port 1 and the IRQ 4 will be assigned by default. The IRQ of 4 is supposedly only used for the modem (or some other com device). I have installed the modem a number of times and all I can get it to install to has an IRQ of 11, which has four functions assigned to it. IN my bios I only have the IRQ options of 3,5, and 11 for that PCI slot. I can get different com ports - 1,2,3, & 5, but they all come up with the 11 IRQ. Everything seems to work, although some modem functions seem to drag.

Question is whether the four functions of the IRQ 11 make any difference. And is there anyway to bring the IRQ 4 and the com port 1 together?

Thanks a lot

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Welcome marellis <_<

Have you tried your modem in a different PCI slot?

I admit to not being the best with IRQ conflicts. Maybe someone else will come along that can help. :D