Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Administrator Priveleges

• Please log in to reply

hulud

hulud

• PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
here is the situation on our network at my work:

currently, many applications will not run correctly unless a user logged into an XP machine has administrator privileges. we have manually been adding users to the administrator group when needed. there have been lots of users that are not here and we wanted to log on to their machine and do some of their functions. however, we have to manually add him to that machines administrator group. this can be done one at a time but is very time consuming. i know there must be a way to automatically do this from the server so am hoping anyone has any ideas

Advertisements

hulud

hulud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
nobody? :\

RAz

RAz

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
windows xp has a default user called "Administrator" ... even if you don't see it in the Welcome screen
can't you simply use that one?
to dissable the welcome screen go to control panel->user accounts->change the way users log on or of->uncheck use welcome screen

then simply type in administrator (or Administrator - i don't know if it's case sensitive) and the password(you have to know the password that was set when the system was installed... for security reasons this password cannot be removed/changed only by the user itself - you can't see administrator in the users list)

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Your users are logging on to limited accounts? You can give them rights with authorized programs using gpedit. (Group Policy Edit)
http://support.micro...;307882&sd=tech

RAz, you need to correct the spelling of "Einstein" in your signature! LOL

Johanna

hulud

hulud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
ill give this a try, thanks
i believe what we were looking for was basically a way to do this type of thing remotely

Edited by hulud, 22 August 2005 - 09:55 AM.