Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC has become very slow

• Please log in to reply

Cutter

Cutter

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello folks...

First off, this is in regards to my P4-3gig machine-

Gigabyte GA-8KNXP Board
P4 3gig CPU
2 sticks of 512MB Kingston Hyper-X RAM
ATI 9800 XT Video Card
Windows XP PRO SP2
C: DRIVE is a W.D. 120 GIG
also running a few W.D. 80 gig drives as well as a 40 gig drive for more space.

As I am running through all the tests, checks and scans on my PC looking for an OS problem or some other software or malware problem that has some what suddenly caused my PC to be slower than this old P3 500 machine I am typing on right now. In fact this old unit is blazing compared to MY 3 gig machine right now...Anyway, I have not posted a HIJACK THIS log yet, as I wanted to run all the tests that I knew of before I posted there, including a DE FRAG that took about 6 or 7 HOURS to complete on a 120 gig drive!! as well as CHKDSK which is running right now, and has been running for over an hour and a half, and it is still only 9 percent done on STEP 4 of 5!

Seeing how slow EVERYTHING is running on that unit, it makes me wonder out loud to you folks if I should be looking at a HARDWARE ISSUE insted of the software side, and if so....Where should I look first?

Thanks in advance for any help or ideas anyone feels like throwing at me!

....Cutter

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i would follow the malware instructions on this forum and post your hjt log in the malware forum....you'd be supprised at what it COULD be....but that should always be the first step when troubleshooting speed issues on a computer attatched to the internet

Cutter

Cutter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

i would follow the malware instructions on this forum and post your hjt log in the malware forum....you'd be supprised at what it COULD be....but that should always be the first step when troubleshooting speed issues on a computer attatched to the internet

View Post

Will do.....thanks!