Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Word 2003 closes unexpectedly

• Please log in to reply

shang0106

shang0106

• Pip
  • 3 posts
:tazz: I am running Office 2003 Professional (OS = Windows XP). When I have two or more documents open and I minimize Word then click to Restore/Maximize, Word shuts down (no error message). When I open Word again (either by opening the program or choosing a file from my folders) the documents are in the document recovery panel.
I have run Detect and Repair (more than once).
I have uninstalled and re-installed Office 2003.
I have downloaded SP1 and related patches from Microsoft and searched everywhere for a solution.

If I only open one document or open Word separately for each document, I can minimize and restore and switch back and forth between documents and nothing happens. It doesn't happen unless I minimize or try to switch between the documents by clicking on them in the task bar.
Nothing shows in event viewer.
This is VERY frustrating as I work in several programs throughout the day and am always switching back and forth between programs as well as documents and need to minimize to access my desktop. Opening each document in a new window is not a solution (that is like the "Doctor, it hurts when I do this." "Then don't do that.") I need to know how to resolve this if anyone can help.
thank you!!

Advertisements

shang0106

shang0106

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I think I solved this (or rather stumbled onto the solution).
After a very frustrating search on Microsoft website, I posted my question there (usually not a very productive activity). I got a list of like questions. One of them was for XP and 2000 (my searches had been specific to 2003. At the bottom of the article is the statement "The Resolution in this article also applies to Microsoft Word 2003."
Anyway... The resolution is to remove Handwriting Recognition (Control Panel/Regional and Language Options/Language/Details/Settings...select Handwriting Recognition, click Remove, apply).
I did this, then opened two documents in Word and minimized and switched between them and restored them several times and this seems to have resolved it (so far). :tazz:
thought I would post this in case anyone else has this issue and like me, cannot find the answer by searching.

lfs

lfs

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Your solution of removing the Handwriting Recognition worked.

I was experiencing the same unexpected ending of Word whenever I switched between open Word windows, making it hard to use Word for the edit work I was doing on merging documents. This problem had been going on for me for an extended time.

Since I use the Language Bar and have more than one language keyboard enabled, this may have been the reason Windows XP turned on this feature on my system.

I was also getting the additional problem that certain applications would not install. Their install programs would start, go to a screen or two, and then just disappear. This would happen seemingly at random, but if it occurred with an application, it would always occur and make it impossible to install. It happened most recently with the AMD Dashboard Demo program from AMD. Now that I have turned off the handwriting recognition, uninstallable applications are installable.

Apparently there is some code in Microsoft Windows XP support of handwriting recognition that causes this type of problem.

I wanted to let you know that your solution real did work. Microsoft does need to formally address this issue.