Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer is so slow - winfixer - tons of popups [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Let's see if you can download it directly from my post. I attached a zip file. Download it from here: Attached File  sis6307309xv413012015.zip   925.8KB   100 downloads

Unzip it to your desktop, but don't install it yet. :tazz:

Advertisements

timlovesfaith

timlovesfaith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
HI!

OK! My screen is back to normal, so is my internet. It is back on High Bit and 800 x 600.
When I rebooted my screen my background switched to "This page cannot be displayed", but once I re-set the settings for the wallpaper, it went back to normal. I am still getting the pop up that asks to reboot, which I have been getting for weeks. But, the main problem, my screen, etc. Is working fantasticly!
I do have a question about these little yellow exclamation marks in the device manager under Floppy Disks: Standard Floppy Disk Controller & under Hard Disk Controllers: Primary IDE Controller (dual fifo) & Secondary IDE Controller (dual fifo). I print screened it:
Posted Image

Edited by timlovesfaith, 16 September 2005 - 12:24 AM.

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
I'm glad your settings are back to normal and staying that way :tazz:

The Page Cannot be Displayed is because you had web checked in desktop properties, it tends to do that on occassion (mine does as well, I'm on ME at the moment).

Run HiJackThis. Place a check next to the following items and click FIX CHECKED:

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {120E090D-9136-4b78-8258-F0B44B4BD2AC} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ms.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: MaxSpeed - {120E090D-9136-4b78-8258-F0B44B4BD2AC} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ms.exe (file missing)

Close HiJackThis.

The setup thing on startup is your only problem now? No more pop-ups or anything like that?

I won't be able to help with the setup thing on startup and I really have no clue what those exclamation points mean. I specialize in malware and have very limited knowledge of hardware. This would be best asked in the hardware forum. If you're not having any other problems with pop-ups or other spyware/adware then I will give you my recommendations for keeping your system clean, then send you over to the hardware forum. Please let me know :)

timlovesfaith

timlovesfaith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Hi,
I don't really have any other malware problems. I appreciate all your help, I would have paid hundreds for someone to come fix it. THANK YOU!!!!
I would appreciate any advice for keeping my system clean and recommendations for the hardware forum would be fabulous.
Thanks Again!

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
You're very welcome! We're glad we could help :)

I would advise reinstalling the GoogleToolbar because it's got at least one file missing. The link is below :tazz:

Actually, it would probably be best to ask in the Windows 98 forum about that setup thing on startup (and if you're still getting that runtime error). Here is the link to that forum, just post a new topic asking the question. I'll try to find out about the yellow exclamation points (they might possibly know in this forum):

http://www.geekstogo...5-98-ME-f3.html

Here are some tips, to reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future, I strongly recommend installing the following applications:

Detect and Remove Programs:
  • How to use Ad-Aware to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Ad-Aware.
  • How to use Spybot to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Spybot. Similar to Ad-Aware, I strongly recommend both to catch most spyware.
Prevention Programs:
  • Spywareblaster <= SpywareBlaster will prevent spyware from being installed.
  • Spywareguard <= SpywareGuard offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts.
  • MVPS Hosts file <= The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well known ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer
  • Google Toolbar <= Get the free google toolbar to help stop pop up windows.
Other necessary Programs:

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
I found out what those mean:

http://support.micro...B;en-us;q133240

A black exclamation point (!) on a yellow field indicates the device is in a problem state. Note that a device that is in a problem state can be functioning.

So there is something wrong with those devices.

timlovesfaith

timlovesfaith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Michelle,
My windows, like for instance, if i wanna watch a video on a video player on the net, like yahoo music or aol music videos, no pop ups for players will even open. I cannot vote in polls, I checked pop up stopper and it is disabled and still doin this :tazz: Is there a setting i need to change or something with my AVG virus thing that is making this do it? :) I also have Microsoft Outlook Web Access for my email and the page will not load. :)
THANKS

Edited by timlovesfaith, 21 September 2005 - 01:25 PM.

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
By popupstopper are you referring to the Google Toolbar or do you have something else? If the google toolbar, you will need to uninstall it and reinstall it for it to function properly.

I don't know if this will help, but we're going to try anyway:

I want you to download Sun Java.

Please go here: http://java.sun.com/...2/download.html and look for the download under this heading:

J2SE v 1.4.2_09 JRE includes the JVM technology
***Make sure it says JRE

Click Download J2SE JRE

On the next page, choose "Windows Installation, Multilanguage"

Download it, then install it and when prompted choose to make it your default Java platform.

Reboot your computer and see if helps anything also after reboot, please post a new HiJackThis log to make sure no malware has snuck in the last couple of days.

If you haven't, you need to follow my previous recommendations or you will continue to have problems with malware.

timlovesfaith

timlovesfaith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Do you have the direct download link? The box will not pop up on my computer. THANKS!

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Go to that page, then Right-click on the download link and go to "Save Target As" and save it to your desktop.

Advertisements

timlovesfaith

timlovesfaith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Do I click on this:
J2SE v 1.4.2_09 JRE includes the JVM technology

The J2SE Java Runtime Environment (JRE) allows end-users to run Java applications. More info...

Download J2SE JRE <---------THIS??

Installation Instructions ReadMe ReleaseNotes
Sun License Third Party Licenses

Cause it is a HTML doc?

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Go to the link I posted.

Under this heading:

The J2SE Java Runtime Environment (JRE) allows end-users to run Java applications. More info...

Click on:

Download J2SE JRE

This will take you to the download center on another page.
That page looks like this:
java1.JPG
I highlighted in red the link that you need to right-click on and go to "Save Target As" :tazz:

timlovesfaith

timlovesfaith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
When I do that it takes me to this page, after i clicked the download thing : https://jsecom16c.su...B1FAC6687F2193#

Edited by timlovesfaith, 21 September 2005 - 08:36 PM.

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Yes, I know that's where it's supposed to take you. Look at my picture in the last post. The one highlighted in red is the one you right-click on and go to Save Target As.

timlovesfaith

timlovesfaith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
I know, but then I click there and it goes back to that page, when I save target as, it takes me to the same page again :tazz: Is there a way for you to get the actual link?
Thanks